Windows 7 backup

mag8tuga

Windows 7 backup

Postby mag8tuga » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:00 am

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find software to back up my Windows 7 Home premium netbook into my Amahi server. As you probably know win7 home premium doesn't allow backups to network so I need a 3rd party product. I would like suggestions on what everyone else uses (free software preferably)
I really like Lucky Backup on Ubuntu so something similar would be great.

Thanks in advance.

dpet

Re: Windows 7 backup

Postby dpet » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:59 pm

No way around it unless you upgrade to Professional or business. Yet another annoying aspect of the Microsoft screw the consumer business model. Shut out key features from 80% of your consumer base....home premium and no network backup to WHS. Wasn't that intelligent? If I didn't code .NET I would have dumped windows a long time ago. That said, you can get OEM version of win7 pro for under $140 on newegg or tigerdirect. Don't ever buy retail copies of windows.

Just thought I would add: I don't know of any decent "free" backup software for windows. Acronis true image is pretty good, but it costs about the same as the oem version of win7 pro, so you might as well just upgrade windows and have full network functionality.

Here is a link to win7 pro on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 64-bit+oem

apastor

Postby apastor » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Just remember OEM copies are only good for one PC. Once you install it on that one PC, you can not move that lic. to another PC (legally).
Proxmox Server: Currently Not Running Amahi
CPU: AMD FX 6100 Six Core
RAM: 8GB DDR3
HDD: 4x1TB RAID10 (Adaptec)

dpet

Postby dpet » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 am

Yes, true.

However, I have never experienced issues moving a license to a different PC. A simple phonecall to Microsoft's verification centre to verify you are only running on 1 PC is all they seem to care about. Mind you, since the licensing is very specific to only one PC, and no move-sies, Microsoft at any point could decide to enforce. Plus I don't need the windows tech support that goes along with a retail license, and is what accounts for the inflated cost I am sure....Even if MS decides to enforce, 3 OEM copies can be had for the price of 1 retail. you would have to switch your PC 3 times before the retail license becomes cost effective. But yes, very good point, and one must know the risks(albeit none, or very minimal) involved. It's a risk that I am willing to take in oder to save a few hundred dollars.

vegaramos1

Postby vegaramos1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:18 pm

mag8tuga,

You can use Crashplan to backup your Windows machines to your Amahi HDA. I've been using it for the last few months with no issue. I haven't had a need to restore a file yet my Windows machine so I can't speak to that part of it, but the backups are working as scheduled, and you don't even need Crashplan running on your HDA to do it.

vegaramos1

Postby vegaramos1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:29 pm

dpet,

I'm pretty certain that if you are running WHS, you get a client program that runs on the PC that will allow your PC to backup to the WHS server over the network (even for home premium). If I remember correctly, once that client program is installed, you can manage all your Windows PC backups directly from the server. I've never owned a WHS, so this is all based on my recollection, as I never bought WHS, but when I was researching purchasing an HP Mediasmart, I do remember reading about this functionality.
Nevertheless, that is no excuse for Microsoft (and Apple as well) not allowing network backups in this day and age when so many people have old PC's lying around. It seems to me Microsoft should be promoting network backup as a feature for what to do with an old PC, instead of forcing an upgrade to Professional.

Gary67

Postby Gary67 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Use Active@ to backup win7 home premium over a network works brilliantly and only costs $50US