CLOSED: Timemachine backups with Amahi

dforbes

CLOSED: Timemachine backups with Amahi

Postby dforbes » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:50 am

All,

I know there's been some interest in having an easy Timemachine backup solution. Just want to let you know that it is being actively worked on and I'm hoping to have an app ready for testing in the next week or two. At the moment, I've got it broadly working with both Snow Leopard and Lion. Timemachine automatically recognises the volume and connects to it. However, I want to satisfy myself that files can actually be successfully restored before releasing it into the wild.

As a teaser, here's a screen grab.
TMgrab.jpg
TMgrab.jpg (209.97 KiB) Viewed 31377 times
DF.

sag47

Re: Timemachine backups with Amahi

Postby sag47 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:15 am

This looks freaking awesome :) I don't have a mac but I wish I did after seeing this.

SAM

Psycho

Postby Psycho » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:47 am

any news regarding this app?

I'm looking to migrate my WHS to Amahi and Timemachine is something that my sister will use alot.

dforbes

Postby dforbes » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:53 am

Sorry for the absent update. I was hoping to be able to have a neat integration with greyhole at the first release, but some obscure technical issues between AFP, samba and greyhole have slowed that down. I'm currently running a tough stress test (2^21 files in a directory) and checking that it will do a full restore just on a basic disk (not using greyhole). It will be a few days more before I know the results of that test, as I'm running it inside a VM.

DF

thejekocomputer

Postby thejekocomputer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:45 am

if you need someone to test it please feel free to contact me, I have a amahi server, one imac (2009) and a new MacBook pro.

Sergio

sergio.nada (at) gmail.com

thejekocomputer

Postby thejekocomputer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:51 am

dear dforbes,
do you have good news for us?

I've try to compile netatalk 2.2 without luck and i really need a way to use timemachine with my HDA.

Thank you

Sergio

chriscc

Postby chriscc » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi,

i would love also to be able to backup my Mac on my server, any tips on how you did it?

thanks
chris

scottrc35

Postby scottrc35 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:15 pm

I'm assuming this is the same "Amahi Time Machine" App that just appeared in the **p Store. It seems to be working great for me with my lion mac book pro.

The only thing- I can't figure out how to limit the size of my time machine backup. The app says check the Wiki, but I couldn't find the Apps wiki (assuming its not up yet since its such a new app), I could only find the old wiki for the pre lion Time machine hack.

Anyway was wondering if you could give some brief instructions here on how to limit the size?

Thanks!

Psycho

Postby Psycho » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:45 am

For those that are using the app. How does it store the backup file? isit a sparsebundle or the normal timemachine backup?

scottrc35

Postby scottrc35 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:14 pm

I think it is regular time machine. It looks like it created a "Time Machine" Share point on Fedora, and every time it wants to back up it automatically mounts that volume and then backs up, then un-mounts it. works perfectly so far. it has backed up about 20 times so far with out a hitch.

My only concern is limiting the disk size, I have a 500GB Mac book Pro (Lion), but it never has more then 250 or so GB being used. So I want to limit my time machine to about 650GB.