CLOSED: Timemachine backups with Amahi

dforbes

Re: Timemachine backups with Amahi

Postby dforbes » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:40 pm

Greyhole support is being worked on, but at the moment is very unreliable. I know this is going to be a problem for a lot of users, so I've not forgotten it.

As a work around in the short term, the default location for files is /var/hda/files/amahi-time-machine. If you change this location in AppleVolumes.default or replace it with a symlink to a disk that has enough space, that will work as long as you don't try to point it at a greyhole share.

DF

hemminger

Postby hemminger » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:07 am

Ok, some clues here, but not quite what I was expecting! In particular, it claims to have started the avahi loop and registered the services and then some 90 mins later, says it has failed to contact the server.

Could you edit /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf and change from logging from log_info to log_maxdebug for me? Then 'service netatalk restart', wait a bit and then post the resulting /var/log/afpd.log. If you're able to, it might be easier to fpaste it and just post the link.

It would also be interesting to see the output of the following commands:

ls -la /var/run/avahi-daemon
ls -la /etc/avahi/services
pgrep avahi
netstat -lp

and the contents of /var/log/monit and /var/log/amahi-app-installer.log.

DF
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was out of the state hunting recently.

I'm not sure what fpast is, but I put it all in a word doc and attached it here. I believe before in the log it showed it working then 90 minutes later can't find the server was due to the edit and adding the size limit to the drive. when I uninstalled and reinstalled it was working and showed up on my wifes mac book but before doing a backup I wanted to put in the size restriction and after service netatalk restart it disapears.

Thanks again for all the help. hopefully we figure this out soon.
Attachments
timemachine.doc
log and other requested output info.
(103 KiB) Downloaded 479 times

dforbes

Postby dforbes » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I've been trying to work out what to ask for next to narrow this down. I've a few commands I'd like you to run if you can. The following each result in using fpaste to store the output on t'web and print a short URL as the result. If you could post the URLs, that would be helpful.

Code: Select all

fpaste --sysinfo ifconfig | fpaste -d "Interface config" yum list installed | grep \\\(avahi\\\|netatalk\\\) | fpaste -d "rpm versions" fpaste /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default /etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf fpaste /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf # Cause avahi to dump its cache to /var/log/messages... kill -10 `pgrep avahi` grep avahi /var/log/messages | fpaste -d "avahi message" ldd `which afpd` | fpaste -d "afpd shared libraries"
Finally, a command that may take a few moments to return, depending on how much network traffic you have:

Code: Select all

tcpdump -i any port mdns -c 5 | fpaste & service netatalk restart
In total you should have 8 fpaste URLs from that little lot. If you could post the URLs here, I'll have a look at the output and work out what to do next.

DF

Taab

Postby Taab » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:36 pm

So I managed to install the app and change the destination for the backup from /var/hda/files/Time Machine to a disk I'm sure of having enough space to handle the backup.

Now this al worked flawless but the following problem is preventing me from making a backup. When I try to login(using the hda login) to the Amahi server from the time machine preferences I am getting the following error in dutch: Time Machine heeft geen toegang tot de reservekopieschijf 'Time Machine'. (Time machine doesn't have acces tot de backup disk 'Time Machine". OSStatus fail 2.)

What am I doing wrong?

hemminger

Postby hemminger » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Does the account your using on amahi for the time machine connection have permissions to write to that directory. Do an "ls -l /path/to/your/folder".

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Taab

Postby Taab » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:30 am

Ok, I just fixed the problem. It's a bit silly, the destination didn't contain the dir where I was directing the backup to. So no wonder I got the error message....

Thanks though for helping me hemminger!

hemminger

Postby hemminger » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:10 am

ok, it's been working for a couple of weeks now for me. Not sure what fixed the issue, but I installed my amahi server from the express cd and never did an update to the OS. I ran yum upgrade and after all the updates and a reboot for the new kernel it started working and is reporting the correct storage space limit to time machine. Thanks for the help.

doczombie

Postby doczombie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:30 am

First off, dforbes, thanks for the great app. Like many others, I tried without success to manually configure netatalk about a year ago before giving up.

Secondly, I've got mine successfully backing up to a greyhole share, though I haven't yet tested restoration (will attempt to test tomorrow).

I've always had my shares locally mounted in /mnt at startup using /etc/rc.d/rc.local - however, trying this, I was getting a Permissions error from time machine on the mac when I tried to add the server, and also when logged into the HDA directly via SSH (I run headless).

After scratching my head in puzzlement for a bit, I realised it was because rc.local is initialised at boot by root, and thus you'd have to be login as root from the Mac in order for it to work. Didn't seem to be possible, and not very secure in any case.

I then used this script (http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally) to mount the shares locally using my username (matched the username I use for OS X, but not sure if that matters and no easy way to test within my time limitations). I adjusted the AppleVolumes.default file to point to the locally mounted samba share, and we were a go.

It's backing up now, and I'll test the restoration tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll throw detailed instructions up on the wiki. Right now, the pub is calling me so I can top up my hangover from Australia day.
"Well, if its my delusion, who the hell invited you?" - Total Recall

doczombie

Postby doczombie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi guys,

Just an update to the above;

I tested the restoration today, and it initially failed over WiFi. I plugged into ethernet and it successfully restored.. Not sure if the wifi fail is a once off, or what happened there really.

However, the backups appear to be splitting themselves - so far I've got two piles of backup files - Doctor and Doctor-1 (the PC's name = Doctor).

I'm going to keep an eye on that, will post further updates.

doczombie

Postby doczombie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:40 pm

An updated update to the above: She's dead jim. Each time it created a backup, it tried to create a new sparsebundle.

I've given up for now and just reformatted one of my drives with 500gb of clear space in a seperate partition for time machine backups.