fwbackups auto start at login

ipdemons

fwbackups auto start at login

Postby ipdemons » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Hey everyone, I've managed to FINALLY get Fedora to automatically login to a certain user by adding
[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin="user"

to /etc/gdm/custom.conf
The next thing I need to do is get fwbackups to start with this login. I've tried adding it to System > Preferences >Personal >Sessions > Startup Programs. I also tried adding it to my rc.local file to no avail. Does anyone know how I can make this work? Amahi will be PERFECT for what I'm trying to do if I can get it working

moredruid
Expert

Re: fwbackups auto start at login

Postby moredruid » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:36 am

you can put it in your /home/username/.profile or in your gnome conf settings file in you homedir. not sure where exactly tho. dig around :)
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

ipdemons

Postby ipdemons » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:04 am

I poked around a bit and I think you were referring to /home/username/.bash_profile . I added fwbackups to the end of this file and restarted. It looks like it tried to work as I could see fwbackups loading when I restarted, but then I just hung on the desktop. I let it go for about 10 mins With only a background and a mouse cursor and decided it broke and am now reinstalling Fedora/amahi (because I'm a linux noob and it's the only way I could figure out how to get back to where I was). I think I'm going to try it again, but this time around, I'm going to not make anything auto login until I get it working. Thanks for the tip. Sound slike I'm heading in the right direction

ipdemons

Postby ipdemons » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:41 am

Just a status update. I did it again and now fwbackups loads at login, but nothing else does. I have to quit fwbackups for the desktop to load. I'll keep poking around

ipdemons

Postby ipdemons » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:22 am

Success!! ok, so here's the skinny. Apparently if you login using a user created through Amahi, it doesn't work. But if you create a new user through fedora, adding a startup program through sessions works just fine. Thanks for all the help

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:22 pm

Just a status update. I did it again and now fwbackups loads at login, but nothing else does. I have to quit fwbackups for the desktop to load. I'll keep poking around
you need to run it in the background (with &):

Code: Select all

fwbackups &
this lets the desktop loading proceed while fwbackups runs in the background.

as for the amahi user being somehow different, i am pretty sure there is something else going on. this is a red herring.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1