AFP/netatalk/avahi+Time machine backup problem

watanabe

AFP/netatalk/avahi+Time machine backup problem

Postby watanabe » Wed May 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Hello,

Installed Amahi a few days ago and have had trouble getting time machine to work on my wife's macbook pro. Followed the guide in the wiki and have got netatalk and avahi setup but either way I go (SMB unsupported volumes OR AFP avahi route) I get errors.

SMB route: I setup a share in Amahi "timemachine" give it read/write permission to an account I setup for my wife and check the use greypool box. Switch to the wife's macbook and hit Backup now and it spins for a while and transfers data (checking through the activity monitor) but never moves past "making disk available". I'm guessing this may have something to do with creating the initial sparsebundle file as it usually gets to 10ish GB before timing out. My / is on a 30gb ssd, with x2 2TB and x2 1.5TB 5400rpm drives in my greypool, so I'm guessing the sparsebundle may be having trouble being created as I haven't looked into moving my landing zone yet?

AFP route: no matter what I do to the /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default file my wife's macbook only sees the home directory of the user account I made for her, not the "timemachine" share which I setup at /var/hda/files/timemachine... any advice?

Will post the exact config files later when I have access to my HDA.

thanks for any help

watanabe

Re: AFP/netatalk/avahi+Time machine backup problem

Postby watanabe » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Finally here are some relevant details:

Storage pool setup:

Code: Select all

Working /Danger » More 23.1 GB 19.3 GB 84% Working /var/hda/files/drives/drive1 1.3 TB 1.3 TB 100% Working /var/hda/files/drives/drive2 1.3 TB 1.3 TB 100% Working /var/hda/files/drives/drive3 1.8 TB 1.8 TB 99% Working /var/hda/files/drives/drive4 1.8 TB 1.8 TB 100%
relevant parts of /etc/fstab:

UUID=c9d09c0c-f9a7-44c2-b2b5-cc46b0883c90 /var/hda/files/drives/drive1 ext4 defaults 1 2 UUID=82680687-144b-4a27-9815-c984e4d4802e /var/hda/files/drives/drive2 ext4 defaults 1 2 UUID=80212f54-8e86-4f10-8185-51cf9a48f6a7 /var/hda/files/drives/drive3 ext4 defaults 1 2 UUID=f5bfb83b-7792-4f91-9816-0e010dd60faa /var/hda/files/drives/drive4 ext4 defaults 1 2
/etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default

/ "$u" allow:kisaki rwlist:@users cnidscheme:cdb /var/hda/files/Backup/ allow:kisaki rwlist:kisaki,@users cnidscheme:cdb options:usedots,upriv
/etc/avahi/services/afpd.service

?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?> <!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd"> <service-group> <name replace-wildcards="yes">watanabe Xserve</name> <service> <type>_afpovertcp._tcp</type> <port>548</port> </service> <service> <type>_device-info._tcp</type> <port>0</port> <txt-record>model=Xserve</txt-record> </service> </service-group>

As I said before there seem to be 2 distinct problems.

1. Using SMB mount share seems to timeout time machine, guess this is related to 30GB ssd drive as /

2. avahi/netatalk not being setup properly (AppleVolumes.default?). "watanabe's Xserve" shows up on my wifes macbook but the only share available in it is the Kisaki home directory (~/)

any help in setting up these config files? I don't really mind using SMB to mount (have already done the showunsupportedvolumes terminal thing in OSX) but I need to get 1 of these solutions working...

Thanks

amahivirtual

Re: AFP/netatalk/avahi+Time machine backup problem

Postby amahivirtual » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:08 am

Dear watanabe,

Sorry about having no solution for the open issue. Moreover, I and probably some more Amahi fellows share the pain of missing afp/Time Machine integration in Amahi with you. However, I started a thread on possibilities to overcome this limitation with a crowd financing suggestion. Perhaps you may want to share your point of views on this http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3065?

Best regards,
amahivirtual