Server System Drive Backup for F14/A6 Upgrade

techlife

Server System Drive Backup for F14/A6 Upgrade

Postby techlife » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:58 pm

As the title implies, I would like to backup the system drive of my HDA prior to attempting the F14/Amahi 6 upgrade. This is key because the server in our home IS mission critical. I can go down for a few hours to install/configure/tinker with the upgrade. I can't, however, be down for days if things go south. SO I am looking for an easy way to backup my system drive (to USB) so that if necessary, I can do a bare metal restore and be back up and running in no time flat. I'm a recent Windoze convert, not a native. I'm not afraid of the command line as long as I have concise instructions and don't have to guess at how "this method" or "that method" are supposed to work.

I would really like an ongoing solution that does daily (or even weekly) backups of the system drive so that in the event it crashes, I can be back up an running as quickly.

Thanks to all in advance!!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Server System Drive Backup for F14/A6 Upgrade

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:48 pm

Probably the best solution for you would be Clonezilla. There is a Live CD that you can backup to pretty much any media. I typically backup to my server, different drive of course.

See http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php

While we would all like to have a good backup medium in place for Amahi, that is quite a tall order these days. It's difficult to find a solution that is simple and works. So far the best has been Clonezilla, but it is not simple to many.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

scottadamsmith

Postby scottadamsmith » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:15 pm

I just installed Amahi 6 and Fedora 14 yesterday and it was literally my first experience with Linux at all. I was almost positive I would screw up some settings at some point early on messing around with the server, so I wanted a complete backup of my server install and used Clonezilla as recommended above. I have the server related partiitions on one drive and my file shares on another, so I just backed up the entire server drive to an 8GB usb flash drive. Sure enough, today I was trying to get a print server setup and I screwed up the DHCP somehow so none of my other machines could connect to the internet. I thought, I could try and figure out what I did, or I could use this an excuse to find out if this backup I made even works. Booted up off Clonezilla, restored the USB to hard disk, rebooted and everything was flawless.

Just follow the step by step directions provided here http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php. I used them for creating the backup, but honestly after doing that, I was able to do the recovery without it because it is not all that far off from making the backup.

Good luck!

techlife

Postby techlife » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks guys...I'll give it a shot!!

Bailifei

Postby Bailifei » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:16 am

maybe a system backup wizard is the easiest way to backup system.
u just follow the wizard and the system will be backup to an image. when u need the system, just restore it.
u can even restore the system to different hardware environment.
i recommend easus todo backup, acronis backup, and paragon backup.
arconis is a a little bit expensive for ordinary business users.
easus todo is good both in features and price.
paragon is just ok.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:56 am

There is also a Clonezilla backup guide in the wiki.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Clonezilla

As for the GUI backup software, most do not work for backing up Linux boxes. If you want to back up Windows though, it works great.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2