What files / folders to backup on OS X?

autumnwalker

What files / folders to backup on OS X?

Postby autumnwalker » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:21 am

I would like to know which folders to backup on my OS X machine so that in the event of a drive failure I can install new HD, reinstall OS X, restore my backup, and be up and running as if nothing happened.

I'm thinking along the lines of backing up the User folder and migrating it across on a Windows installation.

Is this possible with OS X?

kcossabo

Re: What files / folders to backup on OS X?

Postby kcossabo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:04 pm

OSX being unix-like has the /users/username where all your files are, well asterisks on all.

Have you thought of going through the remote time-machine hack? It would get your files, and the applications, and the Libraries, .....

Here is an article with a few good links in it too.

http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/85746- ... rives.html

I use Super Flexible Synchronizer that will sync directories. If I have a disk failure, I need to rebuild and grab the files back, not as smooth as a drive clone or TM.

Hope this helps.

autumnwalker

Re: What files / folders to backup on OS X?

Postby autumnwalker » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:10 pm

OSX being unix-like has the /users/username where all your files are, well asterisks on all.

Have you thought of going through the remote time-machine hack? It would get your files, and the applications, and the Libraries, .....

Here is an article with a few good links in it too.

http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/85746- ... rives.html

I use Super Flexible Synchronizer that will sync directories. If I have a disk failure, I need to rebuild and grab the files back, not as smooth as a drive clone or TM.

Hope this helps.
Hey, thanks for your reply!

I have tried the TM hack a few times, a couple times it worked initially and then failed... sometimes it would fail part way through... sometimes it would crap out when I was viewing my archive... I don't trust it.

I really want to have something that reliably backs up my machines (Mac and PC) and something that I can reliably retrieve a backup from in the event of a computer having a meltdown.

SuperDuper! does look pretty good, but I was hoping to make CrashPlan work since it's OS independent and free!