Move to New Drive From LVM

afterspencer

Move to New Drive From LVM

Postby afterspencer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 am

Technically my question is not specifically related to backup, but the solution may be more of a backup type solution.

Here is my situation:

I have 3 drives in a LVM. I recently acquired a single drive that is three times larger than the three drives combined.

I would like to remove the three drives and replace them with the single drive without having to reinstall the system from scratch.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this process?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Move to New Drive From LVM

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:58 am

Add the new drive and copy the files to it. Then remove the 3 that are no longer needed. Once you do that, you should be able to remove them by editing /etc/fstab and deleting the lines for those drives.

You might consider using the Fedora Desktop tools to remove them.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

afterspencer

Postby afterspencer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:02 am

This will be a bootable drive?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:51 pm

I misunderstood.....your best solution would be to back up your system drive with Clonezilla Live CD. Then, you can insert the new drive and restore the system to it. After that, copy files from the remaining 2 drives to the new one, then remove them.

That is the best option I can see without reinstalling from scratch.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

afterspencer

Postby afterspencer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:10 pm

Clonezilla was my first thought. I tried it before coming here.

I have tried to replicate this with a VM - setting up three drives in LVM and installing Fedora then adding a fourth, bigger drive, and using Clonezilla but I can't seem to get Clonezilla to recognize the LVM.

I have read that Clonezilla supports LVM but I don't see any documentation about how to get it to see it.

afterspencer

Postby afterspencer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:21 am

According to this LVM is kinda supported, but not in the way I need.
So, when you say that CloneZilla "supports" LVM, you don't mean that it can actually pick out and image individual LVM volumes, you just mean that it can grab the raw data off LVM partitions? I hardly consider this "supporting" LVM.
I am going to try Mondo to see if I can get it to work - though I may just wait on F14 and Amahi 6 before I upgrade to the new drive.