Anyone using CrashPlan?

radioz

Re: Anyone using CrashPlan?

Postby radioz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:46 pm

One question I do have is that since I've configured CrashPlan via the desktop window, the CrashPlan server is no longer shown as running in my HDA dashboard.
Yes, that confused me too. There is no web app associated with CrashPlan, so it doesn't show up on your hda (except under installed apps).

I think it would be great if someone created an App for it.

moncapitaine

Postby moncapitaine » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:13 am

I noticed Crashplan not showing up on th dashboard, too, but that does not cause any problems.

However, in the settings -> servers tab Crashplan Server is shown as "stopped" and will not start manually.
Watchdog is turned on.
Backups work normally, though.

So it seems this might be a bug? I think that was what jammastercd was referring to.
Celeron G530, 8GB RAM, Intel SDD 80GB system, 8TB Storage. Fileserver and Mediaserver.

jammastercd

Postby jammastercd » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:47 am

I noticed Crashplan not showing up on th dashboard, too, but that does not cause any problems.

However, in the settings -> servers tab Crashplan Server is shown as "stopped" and will not start manually.
Watchdog is turned on.
Backups work normally, though.

So it seems this might be a bug? I think that was what jammastercd was referring to.
Yep, this would be the same issue I'm seeing. However, my online backup of the pictures share completed successfully, so it appears to be working fine for me also. I'm just not seeing it on my dashboard and the status shows 'Stopped' like moncapitaine mentioned.

t800

Postby t800 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:24 pm

jammastercd, I have the same problem of the dashboard showing Crashplan had stopped but still working fine. In fact Crashpan saved my butt (or data to be more accurate ). I was waiting for the trial account to expire to report any drawbacks. Meanwhile I purchased 3 x Seagate 1TBs drives to replace one faulty and setup a second RAID pair. It all went horribly wrong when I opted to clone the existing half of the mirror to a new drive and then on to the second new drive. This normal would have given me a good new mirror RAID pair. But the new drives immediately started failing and racking up smart errors... the data was trashed. Two brand new drives that completely failed, more faulty than the ones I had removed and just levelled (erased).

Left with one remaining (original) reliable drive I was able to recover my important data from crashplan on Amahi. I got my money back on the new pair and the original faulty drive was returned under its warranty. The 2 replacement Samsung drives seem to be in good health and initially rebuild with 'bare-metal' backups from the Amahi server using 'Paragon', and then the incremental back ups from crashplan completed the job. My four OS booting raid has been restored, with much relief.

Crashplan expired its trial period during this period of chaos of busted drives. The most noticeable difference is the loss of backups being made on the fly and reverts to a scheduled 24hr backup check. The good point about crashplan is the ability to back up the same data to more than one machine destination (should Amahi fail for some reason). I develop (play with) code on both MS and Linux, you cant exactly download a new copy if you loss it. Crashplan comes in handy working on both formats and greyhole is good force multiplier to keep the code safe. Another plus with Crashplan is I can download the code via crashplan to a test machine which saves messing with transfer media or USB sticks. It started out as a test and I really expected it to fail. Crashplan did what it said on the tin, and saved my bacon, I'm sold :)
"All answers have been checked and rechecked to be highly questionable" :)
ZX81, wobbly 16mb RAM, 4mhz CPU, Bluetac and a dead skin keyboard