Amazon S3 backup

coolkyatt

Amazon S3 backup

Postby coolkyatt » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:00 am

Greetings all, is it possible to back up my amahi server to my amazon S3 account?

Thanks in advance

PS. Great software, Just what I was looking for to run my small business.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Amazon S3 backup

Postby cpg » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:12 pm

This is an idea that we would like to help with, as a service to help users and to provide value from Amahi beyond what we already do!

What parts would you like to back up?

We need to spec this out!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

coolkyatt

Postby coolkyatt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:21 am

This would be a great feature. In the event that my drives fail,I would like to back up my shares to amazon s3.

ajaxmike

Postby ajaxmike » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:01 am

This is an idea that we would like to help with, as a service to help users and to provide value from Amahi beyond what we already do!

What parts would you like to back up?

We need to spec this out!
While I would love to see an S3 based online backup solution, Amahi needs to fix a huge void in its backup functionality. The ability to backup clients to a file server "simply and easily" needs to be addressed first. With the retirement of PBA (which was woefully inadequate), there is nothing currently on the application menu for client or HDA backup.

An absolutely essential application on a home server is simple, GUI-based, configurable, documented, one-click or unattended backup of clients on a user definable schedule. At a bare minimum this should be backup of user files (wireless or wired connection). Next step is to support full metal backup. Then incremental backup. Finally, support backup of live files.

It is also absolutely essential that there is an application to backup the HDA. Although one of the prime applications of the HDA is client backup there are many applications where the HDA is a server that must be running (DHCP, DNS, media streaming). The HDA is more than a backup appliance and it needs to be recovered quickly. So as above, simple, GUI-based, configurable, documented, one-click or unattended backup of the HDA on a user definable schedule is essential. Full metal backup, incremental backup, and live file backup are all possible and desirable. Also, it is essential to choose what partitions and folders are backed up.

Once all of the above is in place, by all means add the ability to locate backups online (and S3 is great) as an added level of security. But as it stands right now, there is no basic local backup capability. Fix that first.
Michael McFarlane
Ajax (Toronto) Canada