How Do I Backup My Mac? - Solutions Inside

spatialguru

How Do I Backup My Mac? - Solutions Inside

Postby spatialguru » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:08 am

Modern Mac hardware (e.g. Macbook) doesn't support remote network booting using the PXE protocol that Amahi's backup process supports. However, there has been mention of some sorts of mini Linux distributions that I could boot from then point to the HDA to do backups. Someone mentioned the SystemRescueCD as an option but I can't figure it out. So I thought a thread here address methods for backup of Macs might help.

Of course, I can always use a Samba share and manually (or with a script) copy files over to the HDA, but that defeats the purpose ;-)

bsk

Re: How Do I Backup My Mac?

Postby bsk » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 am

There are some backup solutions for Mac, but mind you, when Apple had backup in mind, they didn't have the end user in mind haha.

SystemRescueCD does boot and everything on a mac, just select the cd when you boot up. (Hold option when you hear the mac boot up sound and then select the cd when the list of devices show up) then follow the steps. This requires PBA to be installed, which is a one click application. Then the steps will be located at http://pba .

Note this does take some time (especially depending on your drive size) as it does not compress it, it copy's it outright. And there is also not progress bar, so make sure you don't need it and have it plugged up.

Other solutions are available on the wiki page http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Backups#Mac_OS_X.

And I just bought my first mac, so Im trying out some more solutions as well to add to the list.

Hope this works for you.
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.

moredruid
Expert

Re: How Do I Backup My Mac? - Solutions Inside

Postby moredruid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:45 am

you can also use rsync to backup your files (use cron to schedule them or add a job to the shutdown scripts).
and you can go the hardcore way and set up iSCSI and backup using time machine on a "local" iSCSI disk (which is nothing more than a logical volume on your server).

I've gone the last route since Time Machine just works and does its stuff in the background when the system is turned on this is the most unintrusive for the end user.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:17 am

hey moredruid ... long time no see! :)

shall we assume you configured your HDA as an iSCSI target?

(damn advanced users ... always pulling these stunts ... :) )
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

moredruid
Expert

iSCSI HOWTO - Re: How Do I Backup My Mac? - Solutions Inside

Postby moredruid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:51 am

yup, set it up and works for about 6 months fine now. So it's safe to call it stable :geek:

Server side: set up an iSCSI server on the Amahi box:

Code: Select all

root@host# yum install scsi-target-utils
set up 1 Logical Volume (LV) that will be exported as an iSCSI LUN. The below output shows my LV created for time machine (hence the name lvtime).

root@host# lvs | grep time lvtime vg00 -wi-ao 500.00g
export the LV: add it to /etc/tgt/targets.conf (note that there's a convention on how to export these!)

<target iqn.2010-08.local.bonabo:galileo.lun1> backing-store /dev/vg00/lvtime </target>
start the iSCSI target daemon and make sure it starts at boot time:

root@host# service tgtd start; chkconfig tgtd on
check the exported LUN(s):

root@host# tgt-admin -s
Client side: I installed globalSAN iSCSI Initiator for OS X by Studio Network Solutions (free community supported) iSCSI client for OS X) on the Mac.
I configured it to "see" the iSCSI lun (just type in the iqn IIRC); since it's presented to the OS as a normal disk you need to partition the drive first (it's a blank disk as far as the Mac is concerned). Then configure Time Machine to use that disk and you're done!

P.S. I may have forgotten a few steps, it's been a while :D
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

cpg
Administrator

iSCSI HOWTO - Re: How Do I Backup My Mac? - Solutions Insid

Postby cpg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:33 am

awesome! captured in this iSCSI wiki page.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

luvmnky2

Postby luvmnky2 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Needs to be updated for Snow Leopard v10.6.7, apparently Apple changed something, and this procedure won't work. I couldn't find one that did.

luvmnky2

Postby luvmnky2 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Update: CrashPlan does a good job backing up the files on the Mac; if I had a total loss I'd have to reinstall the OS, and then restore the files, but for me that's no big deal.