Pointers to start new Express Disc development

cpg
Administrator

Pointers to start new Express Disc development

Postby cpg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:29 pm

I do not know how to do this on Ubuntu. Since we're focusing on Fedora 18 at the moment anyway, let's stick to that and we will fight the Ubuntu dragon when the time comes.

The way to get started on this is using a "compose" script, i think. Things have changed a lot in this area since the last time we did this. This area moves fast in Fedora anyway, from release to release it may change radically.

I think you need:
  • a running machine with a stable f18 system
  • a full copy of the latest repos (or re-download every time). there are ways to keep mirrors - used to keep them in my hda with an app i created (which i did not package because it was too custom), called
  • a way to compose a distro into a release cd
  • a way to test it quickly (eg. VM or real hw)
rinse and repeat!

Basically we need to create what it would otherwise called an Amahi Spin of Fedora.

I am fairly sure the programs mock and pungi some involvement of kickstart files are required. See these pages on composing test images and [urlhttp://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_Process]spins process[/url].

Here is another idea, the Fedora revisor, a tool to generate your own Fedora images.

I am fairly sure we do not want to submit a Spin to the Fedora community, knowing their red-tape ladden process. But that does not stop us from doing what we want.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

slm4996

Re: Pointers to start new Express Disc development

Postby slm4996 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Revisor is your friend. The missing component is the first boot script to complete the automation. This should be able to be ported almost intact from previous express cds. I'll dig it and my notes up if I can find them...

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Revisor is your friend. The missing component is the first boot script to complete the automation. This should be able to be ported almost intact from previous express cds. I'll dig it and my notes up if I can find them...

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
I looked at Revisor and tried to install it on F18. It had an error. I did some research and discovered that Revisor is no longer maintained. A lot of people have been complaining for sometime since about F16 that it was having issues.

Further researching I found that most people seem to be using the F18 Kickstart Configurator followed by the pungi/mock combination.

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:16 pm

I do not know how to do this on Ubuntu. Since we're focusing on Fedora 18 at the moment anyway, let's stick to that and we will fight the Ubuntu dragon when the time comes.

The way to get started on this is using a "compose" script, i think. Things have changed a lot in this area since the last time we did this. This area moves fast in Fedora anyway, from release to release it may change radically.

I think you need:
  • a running machine with a stable f18 system
  • a full copy of the latest repos (or re-download every time). there are ways to keep mirrors - used to keep them in my hda with an app i created (which i did not package because it was too custom), called
  • a way to compose a distro into a release cd
  • a way to test it quickly (eg. VM or real hw)
rinse and repeat!

Basically we need to create what it would otherwise called an Amahi Spin of Fedora.

I am fairly sure the programs mock and pungi some involvement of kickstart files are required. See these pages on composing test images and [urlhttp://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_Process]spins process[/url].

Here is another idea, the Fedora revisor, a tool to generate your own Fedora images.

I am fairly sure we do not want to submit a Spin to the Fedora community, knowing their red-tape ladden process. But that does not stop us from doing what we want.
Yes I agree, I was looking at "Spins" and "Remixes" to see what was involved. The Remix research path lead me to several different methods that people have been using over time when building "Live CDs" and "Installation Discs".

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Any updates on this?

We have a somewhat stable release with some RPMs we can use to prototype the process of getting an express disc under way.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:03 pm

Any updates on this?

We have a somewhat stable release with some RPMs we can use to prototype the process of getting an express disc under way.
Have a look so far at https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Catego ... Collection

Now working towards "kickstart" configurations...

... shortly forum queries for feedback with be solicited for Express Disc requirements ...

... then actual "build" research, testing, etc. ...

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:48 am

Awesome. We should explore the possibility of setting up a VM server for community development. I think maybe collaborating/testing on this could help make a process out of it ...

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:01 am

Awesome. We should explore the possibility of setting up a VM server for community development. I think maybe collaborating/testing on this could help make a process out of it ...
Yes I agree once we get past the new Express production release it would be a good idea to have a VM environment.

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Sun May 05, 2013 8:45 am

Currently I am working on the construction of a "build machine".

I have been concentrating on:

- preparing another computer to act as a second bench machine for testing ISO builds. My main bench machine holds
the "build machine", don't want to disturb that.
- the creation of a Kickstart file that contains a "minimal" F18 install (with out Amahi and mariadb).
- determining composition requirements to do "pungi builds".
- making tweak changes to the Kickstart file as required to keep pungi happy. 8-)

To date progress has been slow, however, today I managed to get some life out of pungi. I will be testing out the resulting CD ISO in the next couple of days (spring yard chores are calling today :roll: ). As I get a stable build pattern I will be updating the wiki article in WIP.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sun May 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Great. We're getting close to a major transition in our API and Amahi 7 will be the first user for it.

Looking forward to test this out. I do have two machines to help build the ISOs.

BTW, testing of the ISOs can be done on a VM quickly and efficiently.
(your explanation suggests you are doing it in a real hardware, which may be more painful than a VM)