Amahi 7 Express Disc Requirements

northridgegrp

Amahi 7 Express Disc Requirements

Postby northridgegrp » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 am

This forum discussion is for the purpose of gathering requirements for a new Amahi Express installation disc from the Amahi Community of users.

At some point requirements will be chosen that “make sense”, are a “best fit”, and can be achieved with the resources the Amahi Community (and support team) has available. It is anticipated that the development of a new “Amahi Express” will parallel the efforts currently underway for the future Amahi 7 platform.

Please limit the scope of the requirements discussions, for the moment, to the Fedora and Ubuntu (32-bit, 64-bit) operating systems (Intel). Also note, our Community will most likely have limited volunteer resources available for this initiative.

So who wants to start the discussions?

northridgegrp

Amahi 7 Express Disc Requirements: Current Amahi ExpressCD

Postby northridgegrp » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Features of the current Amahi Express CD are:

Code: Select all

-Fedora 14 installation only. - Headless means that there is no desktop after install. This means faster and leaner system, with no wasted resources on graphics or desktop. A graphical console can be installed later with guidance from an existing Amahi Wiki article (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/GUI_Install_for_Express_CD). - All-in-one means most necessary packages are included, much less downloading necessary. - Two installation options. The first, pure text based, installs to one hard disk on existing server (any additional drives need to be disconnected for this). Additional drives can be added later, the Amahi Wiki has guidance on this. The second, uses the Anaconda Installer and allows for defining custom disk partitioning over 1 or more connected hard disks.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Amahi 7 Express Disc Requirements

Postby cpg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:48 pm

I think the requirements would be, from higher priority to lower:

Must have:
  • Has to fit in a standard CD-ROM. Makes for an easy download these days and also easy to burn
  • It has to provide a simple, straightforward way for the user to input their install code, deal with errors in network, bad code, etc.
Nice to have:
  • Graphical installation and interaction with the user
  • Allow the user to partition the drive(s) in the system prior to install
Would be cool to have:
  • Allow users to install the desktop stack if they want to (while installation is going on or later perhaps)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:35 pm

I have been analysing the F14 Amahi Express CD in case there are some bits that can still be used in the new version. Does anyone know when "Revisor" was used in the creation of the Express CD if it was created as a LiveCD or as a normal installation CD?

I am finding some rather interesting code bits in the Kickstart configuration files on the Express CD.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:59 pm

The F14 express CD is probably too old to conclude or learn anything from it, as I believe the tools have changed a lot since then. I am pretty sure it was not a LiveCD, however.

I am not sure if @slm4996 may remember more, but I do not think we used revisor.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1