CLOSED: Upgrade ownCloud 8.2.1 to Nextcloud 9.0.51

northridgegrp

CLOSED: Upgrade ownCloud 8.2.1 to Nextcloud 9.0.51

Postby northridgegrp » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:38 am

Hello everyone. Due to business goal differences the original founder(s) of ownCloud have "forked" the software to form a new Open Source Community, "Nextcloud". Many of the developers have moved to Nextcloud. The first Nextcloud release, version 9.0.51, has been available in recent weeks. Nextcloud 9 can be used as a "drop-in" replacement for ownCloud 9.0.2, meaning that database names, database login, and disk directories do not have to be renamed. A new installation of Nextcloud has been tested and passed. The testing was performed on 3 different "LAMP stack" configurations (Debian, Fedora, Bananian), not the same as the Amahi (which sits on a LAMP stack) platform by the way. ownCloud applications can still be used from the Appstore, eventually Nextcloud will be forking to their own Appstore.

However, upgrade testing from ownCloud 8.2.1 (current Amahi supported version) to Nextcloud 9.0.51 has failed. ownCloud 8.2.1 to 9.0.2 also failed in the same fashion. It is not recommended to try this on the current Amahi version as it will fail also. A bug report has been filed with Nextcloud, "https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/297". Please refer to this bug report for further status information.

Why to move to Nextcloud? First, recent moves to "update" ownCloud 8.2.1 to greater releases in the 8.2.x series (current OC is 8.2.5) seemed to always have major issues as developers made major code changes to support webDav for core ownCloud applications and it seems that user community complaints to ownCloud were not always addressed. Next, there is not a lot of development activity in the ownCloud Community and business priorities have taken a different path than originally intended by the founders. Nextcloud has "a lot" of development activity at the moment and they are intent on repairing as many user reported bugs as possible.

This post is intended to provide you with the current state of affairs with this software only. Many Open Source products has been forked in recent times, the originals and the forked products have continued to be successful in their own product channels.
Last edited by northridgegrp on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Upgrade ownCloud 8.2.1 to Nextcloud 9.0.51

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:58 pm

We are testing nextcloud-9 App now for Amahi 9.

Hope to release it soon!
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

northridgegrp

Re: Upgrade ownCloud 8.2.1 to Nextcloud 9.0.52

Postby northridgegrp » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:00 am

1. One of the Nextcloud devs has posted "something" that seems to address the upgrade issue. I asked for a clarification but the dev posting had nothing to do with the issue. I posted a reply on this issue to the Nextcloud Community Manager asking why the dev did and when I can expect some sort of reply.
2. Nextcloud 9.0.52 has been tested. It appears to be solid and has new features not in ownCloud 9. Upgrades continue to be an issue. Please note that upgrades are not the same as updates.

mcinroy

Postby mcinroy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:51 am

This is interesting stuff.

I have recently been planning to get back to giving my Amahi instance some attention (starting with an upgrade from Amahi 8 to 9!).

One of the first things I planned to do was revisit installing ownCloud -- I had abandoned it initially after having trouble reconciling it's file management with Amahi's... the excellent wiki articles were a great help in understanding the considerations, I just felt that the disparate approaches were unnecessary for my use cases... I'm rethinking that now, after some moderate Amahi use by the whole family over time.

Hence my interest in these developments. An ownCloud alternative. Recommended (as viable, if not preferable) by Amahi. With an Amahi app. And mobile app. Great stuff.

So, my situation doesn't involve upgrade from a prior version of ownCloud, this would be a fresh install. (Also, fyi, I'm not using Greyhole.)

Any further thoughts on your experiences with Nextcloud in the intervening few months?
In particular, are there any significant differences between the two products with respect to how sharing is enabled (i.e. anything that would change the information or approach outlined in the Media Sharing wiki article)?

Thanks.
(apologies if this is getting off-topic... let me know if you feel I should start a new post...)

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:09 am

I have been asked to reply to this post. I have been using ownCloud since version 4.x by the way. I have been working with Nextcloud since it forked from ownCloud.

Nextcloud 9 is meant to be a "drop-in-replacement" for ownCloud 9. The Nexcloud folks did not really add too many features as compared to ownCloud 9, most changes were bug and security fixes.

Here is a link to Nextcloud 9 features: https://nextcloud.com/blog/nextcloud-9- ... n-ios-app/

Nextcloud 10 is really where things are moving away rapidly from ownCloud in order to differentiate between the two. I've been testing it out on two "LAMP" test servers. It is a really cool version.

Here is a link to Nextcloud 10 features: https://nextcloud.com/features/

There is one big caveat at the moment for Amahi, upgrading for ownCloud/Nextcloud. At the time of ownCloud 8.2.1 the update/upgrade process was broken. Updates within a major version could not be completed properly. Upgrades to a new major version from a prior version definitely could not be accomplished. The Nextcloud folks have since stabilized the update process so updates within Nextcloud 9 and 10 versions seem to work now. However, upgrading from one Nextcloud major release to a new one remains a problem. The same goes for trying to upgrade from ownCloud 8.2.1 to NextCloud 9. The Nextcloud folks are doing their best to fix the upgrade process. So at the moment the only way to adopt a new Nextcloud release is to do a complete new install and manually add files and configurations from scratch.

After much perserveriance I have finally got the attentions of the Nextcloud developers to look at an issue a lot of people are experiencing. I am still working through a "triage" with them, hopefully we will be able to help folks that are still using ownCloud 8.2.x instances with large collections or data. Until we get some stability Amahi will continue to stay with the current packages they offer.

I really like the directions the Nextcloud folks are headed. I hope this posting helped you.
=========
This is interesting stuff.

I have recently been planning to get back to giving my Amahi instance some attention (starting with an upgrade from Amahi 8 to 9!).

One of the first things I planned to do was revisit installing ownCloud -- I had abandoned it initially after having trouble reconciling it's file management with Amahi's... the excellent wiki articles were a great help in understanding the considerations, I just felt that the disparate approaches were unnecessary for my use cases... I'm rethinking that now, after some moderate Amahi use by the whole family over time.

Hence my interest in these developments. An ownCloud alternative. Recommended (as viable, if not preferable) by Amahi. With an Amahi app. And mobile app. Great stuff.

So, my situation doesn't involve upgrade from a prior version of ownCloud, this would be a fresh install. (Also, fyi, I'm not using Greyhole.)

Any further thoughts on your experiences with Nextcloud in the intervening few months?
In particular, are there any significant differences between the two products with respect to how sharing is enabled (i.e. anything that would change the information or approach outlined in the Media Sharing wiki article)?

Thanks.
(apologies if this is getting off-topic... let me know if you feel I should start a new post...)

mcinroy

Postby mcinroy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:50 am

That is very informative and helpful, thank you.

I certainly had a sense that you had a history and depth of experience with ownCloud/Nextcloud and saw that you were chasing down the upgrade issue affecting many Amahi users. Great stuff. I happen to be on a path that allows me to go straight to the latest/approved version of Nextcloud. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Would you suggest using the current NextCloud Amahi app (v9.0.52)?
Any idea what the timeline might be (if any) for a Nextcloud 10 Amahi app?

mcinroy

Postby mcinroy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:13 am

Wow. I just went through the v10 feature list. :shock:

WOW.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:55 am

Please submit a bug report.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

mcinroy

Postby mcinroy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:51 am

Please submit a bug report.
Done!

Sorry for the delay.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:04 am

No worries.

Will track in bug 2182 from this point forward.

Marking thread as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager