CLOSED: Access Owncloud from outside local network

wiredwrx

CLOSED: Access Owncloud from outside local network

Postby wiredwrx » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 am

When I am in the network, I can access owncloud by typing "owncloud" and/or "owncloud/remote.php/webdav" into a browser. I was also able to map owncloud as a drive on my windows machine after modifying the registry (again from within my network).

I would like to access owncloud from outside my home network. I am able to access the Amahi Dashboard from outside my home network at username.yourhda.com but can't seem to get to owncloud.

I have downloaded the owncloud client, but I get an error no matter what I type into the client as a server, including http and https://username.yourhda.com and http and https://owncloud.amahi.net.

Also, is there anyway to map owncloud as a drive on a machine that is not on the local network??? That would be ideal.

I am amahi 7 on a Fedora 19 minimum install (with no gui)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Access Owncloud from outside local network

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:28 am

ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wiredwrx

Postby wiredwrx » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:46 pm

None of the wikis deal specifically with what I am asking.

Can you point me to the specific section that deals with accessing owncloud from outside my home network, and which one deals with setting up a share on a computer outside of the home network. Because, after reading and reading, I don't see anything in the wiki regarding this.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:41 pm

This area tells you how to access a web app outside the network.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Hosting_a_website
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wiredwrx

Postby wiredwrx » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks

ambient711

Postby ambient711 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:10 am

Sorry for posting on a old thread, but I have a question that's relevant.

1.) How secure are self-issuing ssl certs?
2.) Is it safe to set remote access from amahi through the single app hosting? or am I puncturing a massive hole in my network (and security)?
3.) Can I setup Cloudflare with Amahi (would it help in this circumstance)?
4.) how is everyone else using Owncloud remotely?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for tons of Q's.

Austin

ambient711

Postby ambient711 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:21 pm

Just in case anyone else was wondering, I answered my questions:

1.) Not as secure as a provider issuing the cert.
2.) Not safe, punches big hole in network.
3.) Yes, Cloudflare can be setup (I used a custom URL route, DynDNS + Namecheap for a URL, might be possible without).
4.) from everything I gathered not many people use Owncloud remotely, please correct me if I am wrong.

polaris20

Postby polaris20 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Just in case anyone else was wondering, I answered my questions:

1.) Not as secure as a provider issuing the cert.
2.) Not safe, punches big hole in network.
3.) Yes, Cloudflare can be setup (I used a custom URL route, DynDNS + Namecheap for a URL, might be possible without).
4.) from everything I gathered not many people use Owncloud remotely, please correct me if I am wrong.
I know this is an old post, but a couple things bear mentioning.

1. Yes, it is as secure, on a protocol and security level. It's the same level of encryption as a third party signed certificate. The only potential danger is to someone who doesn't know you or your server, because they've got no way of knowing you're valid. If it's your server you set up that you're accessing, it's just as safe.
2. It's not a big hole, if you're just port-forwarding 443 just to that IP.
3. Don't know about this one.
4. The primary purpose of Owncloud is to access it remotely. Not sure what else you'd even use it for, if not remotely.

ambient711

Postby ambient711 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks for responding, yeah it didnt look like I had all the facts (probably still dont). I have learned a few more things.

1.) I probably should have been more specific, it is less secure in the stance that man in the middle attacks become more of a possibility (thats how it was explained to me at least). I guess it would make sense
2.) To be honest im not entirely sure what level of risk, but from everything I have read it seems opening up ports equals less security, and adding a static route to your home network is even worse. (Again, im not a network engineer so my knowledge is limited)
4.) When I first ran across Owncloud I thought that it was designed primarily for external use, but then I started doing some digging on there forums finding that a lot of people feel the security risk outweighs the benefit. In fact Owncloud's main page states "ownCloud is perfect for use inside your company. Your data on your servers, under your control. ownCloud Inc offers Enterprise editions with extensive support." .... I think this is also portrayed by the total lack of SSL package integration in the setup of Owncloud. (but that last part is just my opinion).

Thanks again for responding, trying to compile info.

Austin

pluscool

Postby pluscool » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:07 am

In other words I need to activate a VPN connection first and then accesing owncloud from there? that's not my idea of a "cloud solution". I was expecting more like a dropbox behavior: going to a web site and signing in or syncing automatically from my phone... :( not worring about opening channels and tunnels.

It would be nice to have a solution working like dropbox thoug. just trowing files "locally" in a "cloud folder" on my PC at work and automatically sync with the other clients of my own cloud.