CLOSED: Access Owncloud from outside local network

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Access Owncloud from outside local network

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:07 am

There is a solution such as you mention. It's called Amahi Anywhere. It provides access to your shares outside the network and streams videos as well. Apps for Android and iPhone are available.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

s9601694

Postby s9601694 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:10 am

There is a solution such as you mention. It's called Amahi Anywhere. It provides access to your shares outside the network and streams videos as well. Apps for Android and iPhone are available.
That app is actually pretty cool. It automatically switches between Local and Remote and works! It impressed me.

The huge thing that's missing is being able to upload pictures and such to the server via the app.. I wonder if they are looking at adding that option..
When I first ran across Owncloud I thought that it was designed primarily for external use, but then I started doing some digging on there forums finding that a lot of people feel the security risk outweighs the benefit. In fact Owncloud's main page states "ownCloud is perfect for use inside your company. Your data on your servers, under your control. ownCloud Inc offers Enterprise editions with extensive support." .... I think this is also portrayed by the total lack of SSL package integration in the setup of Owncloud. (but that last part is just my opinion).
And that just made Owncloud useless to me.. Mapping network drives works much easier inside my network..

Too Blessed To Be Stressed

First time Amahi! Up and running 5/11/15 after only the second try! Migrated from Solaris.

BIOSTAR A780L3B 760G AM3 Motherboard w/AMD Athlon II X4 640 Quad Core Processor
4GB DDR3 RAM
1 ea 32GB SSD dedicated to AMAHI root partition
2 ea 2TB WD Green for data storage (Greyhole)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:07 pm

Might be worth suggesting it to the ownCloud developers via the ownCloud Forums.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

batoum

Postby batoum » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:44 am

Hello

Re-starting this thread as I have a similar issue on owncloud.

It is now all working (had troubles before...) and now I want to access the server from externally. I am trying to access it by editing the ports access as by editing the .conf file in /etc/httpd/conf.d folder as follows (note - XXXX are the port numbers)

Code: Select all

<VirtualHost *:80> ServerName owncloud8 ServerAlias owncloud8.amahi.net ProxyPass / http://localhost:XXXX/ ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:XXXX/ DocumentRoot /var/hda/web-apps/owncloud8/html <Directory "/var/hda/web-apps/owncloud8/html"> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks AllowOverride All Require all granted </Directory> ErrorLog /var/hda/web-apps/owncloud8/logs/error_log CustomLog /var/hda/web-apps/owncloud8/logs/access_log combined env=!dontlog </VirtualHost>

I use proxypass as it was the same syntax used on sickbeard and others.

When I try to do some self diagnosis, I entered

Code: Select all

nmap -sT -O localhost
and found that the ports that sickbeard et al are open. Do i need to do the same for owncloud? If so, how?

(nb - yes i made sure the port forwarding on the router is correct)
Last edited by batoum on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

s9601694

Postby s9601694 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:31 pm

I ended up using HDAConnect to VPN into my network remotely. It works like a charm!!

Too Blessed To Be Stressed

First time Amahi! Up and running 5/11/15 after only the second try! Migrated from Solaris.

BIOSTAR A780L3B 760G AM3 Motherboard w/AMD Athlon II X4 640 Quad Core Processor
4GB DDR3 RAM
1 ea 32GB SSD dedicated to AMAHI root partition
2 ea 2TB WD Green for data storage (Greyhole)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:02 pm

Glad to hear you got it working.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager