Using ownCloud for User/File Management + Increasing Storage

bukco13

Using ownCloud for User/File Management + Increasing Storage

Postby bukco13 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:42 pm

As noted in another question I posted recently, I'm pretty new to Linux/Amahi/networking and just been trying to wade my way through all the new information.

What I'd like to do is use ownCloud for File and User management as I think it has a very nice and user friendly UI. I'm fine with using the ownCloud file shares as suggested in the wiki (scenario 2: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Media_S ... g_ownCloud) as I'm still setting everything up. What I'm curious about is when I want to increase the storage capacity of the HDA. Since I'm using an old Macbook Pro for the install of Amahi and Linux (Ubuntu) I've only got 200GB of capacity available and am definitely going to want to add new drives (I've got a few old externals lying around that I'm in the process of adding now).

So my questions are:
1) I will be adding the drive according to the instructions on the wiki (http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding_ ... o_your_HDA) and then I assume add it to the storage pool using Greyhole to increase the overall capacity of my HDA. Correct?

2) Second question is whether this will cause problems with ownCloud? I've read through the discussion in this forum viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4440 and can't quite figure out what exactly it is I need to do so that ownCloud will utilize the storage from added drives.

3) Could I upload files through the file browser on a computer on the local network rather than through the ownCloud UI? I want to move over a whole bunch of files I have on my computer onto the server drives for sharing and I figure it would be quicker through mounting the drive on my Mac (through the HDA share on my sidebar).

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for any noob comments/mistakes!

northridgegrp

Re: Using ownCloud for User/File Management-Item 3

Postby northridgegrp » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:14 am

Regarding item 3 on your forum post.

It is not a good idea to use the file browser on the local workstation as you would most likely be mounting as a Samba share which would require a login to the HDA with an HDA ID. Any files uploaded using this method would not be visible to ownCloud as file ownerships/permissions would not be correct.

Please read the ownCloud article at the following link: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/OwnCloud_Other_Stuff
These mount methods would require an ownCloud login ID for mounting ownCloud as a local workstation share via WebDAV. Uploading in this manner would set the correct ownerships/permissions and update the file meta information carried in the MySQL database for ownCloud.

bukco13

Re: Using ownCloud for User/File Management + Increasing Sto

Postby bukco13 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 am

Ok great, thanks. Good tip. I had been reading that you can run into permission problems with ownCloud and Amahi. That should obviously help avoid that. Any info then regarding the other questions? Will Greyhole help add capacity for the ownCloud account?