Move .../Owncloud/Data to external Drive

darkman1964

Move .../Owncloud/Data to external Drive

Postby darkman1964 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:44 am

hello,

i installed owncloud 4.5.4 (under unbuntu) and everything works-out-of-the-box. as i mounted my local shares to the new direrectory of owncloud (yes, i used the "mount_shares_locally" type) my "hda.home.com"-page crashed . ruby failt because "no memory left". my root-partition (with my hda-installation) was out of space. 38 gb full , 0 bytes left for data.

what went wrong??

owncloud-versioning is activated by default. owncloud started to copy every file from my mounted directories to "/var/hda/files/owncloud/data/oliver/files/files_version" with an "version"-extension. the mounted directories were about 1 TB , so that my root.partition became full in some minutes.

it should be better to deactive versioning by default, and make a little hint for the problem. perhaps there is a way to have the choice where the user can place the ".../owncloud/data/..." another solution could be to make a symbolic link to a directory on a external drive.

i deinstalled owncloud to interrupt the script that copied my files. than i made a new installation, deactiveated the versioning first and than mounted the directory again. now, everythings works fine.

sorry for my english. i hope you can understand what i want to explain.

olli

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Move .../Owncloud/Data to external Drive

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:10 am

Not a good idea to add the root partition to the storage pool. We have a warning on that page to indicate such. This often results in the partition filling up, then everything crashes.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

darkman1964

Postby darkman1964 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:05 am

Not a good idea to add the root partition to the storage pool. We have a warning on that page to indicate such. This often results in the partition filling up, then everything crashes.
no, i didn´t added the root partition to the storage pool !!! and it wasn´t greyhole that copied my files, it was owncloud.
Example:
under owncloud -> files i added "movies" . owncloud makes a directory under /var/hda/files/owncloud/data/oliver/files/movies
(i did like it was discribed here: http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f ... t=owncloud)

next, i mounted my local share "mnt/samba/movies" to "/var/hda/files/owncloud/data/oliver/files/movies". i made this with an line in the file "/var/hda/files/owncloud/data/oliver/files/mount.php".

and now, the owncloud-app "versions" copys the file from the share "mnt/samba/movies" to "/var/hda/files/owncloud/data/oliver/files/files_version" . and this is done by default.

this is not a error because of storage-pooling. the path to the ".../owncloud/data" is set to "/var/hda/files/" by default isn´t it? and this path is on root by default!

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:25 am

For anyone to answer your question(s)? We might need more information.
What "root partition" were you referring to in your first post?
When you did you original Ubuntu install did you follow a regular desktop installation?
How much space is allocated to your /var on your disk partitioning layout on your disk drive storage?

Also to answer you earlier question about setting the ownCloud default setting to "Versions" to be unchecked. The Amahi package just uses the ownCloud software straight from the ownCloud Community site. Versions is set to checked as a default from the ownCloud Community not Amahi. We have documentation on the Amahi Wiki for ownCloud (http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/OwnCloud) in the installation of ownCloud we have made reference to unchecking the Versions setting until storage use on a server is better understood with ownCloud. This reference is made early in the Amahi ownCloud installation in order to avoid using up all server space.