Amahi ownCloud Wiki Pages

northridgegrp

Re: Amahi ownCloud Wiki Pages

Postby northridgegrp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:55 pm

Yes that is true but it is still possible that we will have an ownership/permissions issue. So one of us, or all who are interested will have to meticulously test this out. ;)

I have a test machine that I plan to load up in the early new year. I have not had any exposure to Greyhole... as yet. :roll:

olson

Postby olson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:23 pm

I'll see if I get some time to test it this weekend. I just setup my machine and don't have much on owncloud so I'm not to worried about screwing it up. Most of my stuff is on a media share (for mythtv, dvds, etc...).

I should note that I don't have a lot of greyhole experience.... I'm just using it for drive pooling, not for duplication. I'm using snapraid (its easy to setup, I should add this to the wiki) for that.

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:46 pm

If you get a chance to test it you can use Scenario 1 of the new article to give you some clues of expected ownership/permissions for the ownCloud directories. I believe the the ownCloud data directory variable is kept in the config.php file, there is an article I wrote on manually installing ownCloud on Amahi, I think it references the config.php file.

Good luck!

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:00 am

A new wiki page has been added, "Media Sharing Using ownCloud". Covers off a couple of scenarios for sharing media files and managing them using ownCloud. One of the scenarios also covers in detail the ownership/permissions required for ownCloud to see directories and files on "local" server hard disks.

The Amahi DLNA application is referenced in this new page. As a result, updates were also made to the wiki page for DLNA.

olson

Postby olson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:40 am

So I've been running a setup like I talked about earlier (viewtopic.php?p=23419#p23419, basically changing www-data user into the users group and changing the location of the owncloud data to be /mnt/samba/Owncloud/data) and haven't had any issues so far.

BUT this might be pointless now that the new version of owncloud is out: https://owncloud.com/blog/owncloud45-community

Anyone tried this version? I see from the change log "Fix mounting of external filesystems especially CIFS"...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:25 pm

The Amahi app is the latest version. To upgrade, uninstall and reinstall. There may be some settings you want to preserve. Not sure if the wiki provides that guidance or not.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:28 pm

I "think" you are referring to a Greyhole mount point? Of which there are no definitive answers as yet. I am aware the other Amahi users that use Greyhole are having similar challenges at the moment. I don't use Greyhole on my Amahi Production box.

We are using the current version of ownCloud (v4.5.5), "http://www.amahi.org/apps/owncloud". If you are not at that release you will have to re-install the Amahi ownCloud package. Be careful, if you already have a lot of production data stored in ownCloud.

Also the "Samba" backend on ownCloud at the moment is "busted". I am not sure when the ownCloud Developers will get it fixed. I know for a fact that this V4.5.5 release of ownCloud fixed the mounting of local disk directories. I use that on my server. See Amahi Wiki page "http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Media_S ... g_ownCloud", on how that is done in "Scenario 1".

You were indicating an ownership of "www-data"? You might want to also look at the permissions, the article above shows the ownCloud permissions requirements.

olson

Postby olson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Ok so I've been running a setup different than yours @northridgegrp and I think its much simpler to setup. Not only that, but I think your setup could cause issues if the user is using greyhole.

The following instructions will enable you to have your owncloud data within a greyhole pool (awesome for expandability) and will enable you to easily add external/other samba (greyhole) shares.

Here it is:
Setting up Owncloud to work on a greyhole share: - EDIT: if you want to share your owncloud files via samba, then in your amahi web admin, go to your owncloud share, and in the "extra parameters" add "force user = www-data"

Adding other greyhole shares to owncloud:
  • - in owncloud admin, enable the "External storage support" app
    - under admin, add your external storage to the "local" backend located at the samba mount. Example: Mount Point: Pictures | - Backend: Local | Configuration: /mnt/samba/Pictures | Applicable: Pictures, Family
****Note, you don't need to use the samba client that owncloud uses since we are already mounting the samba shares locally with the greyhole "mount_shares_locally" script.

**Modifying Owncloud config for greyhole share:
  • - navigate to /var/hda/web-apps/owncloud/html/config
    - edit config.php
    - change "datadirectory" to "/mnt/samba/Owncloud/data"... it should look like:

Code: Select all

'datadirectory' => '/mnt/samba/Owncloud/data',
    - save config.php
    - restart server (don't know if this is necessary)

***Mount Shares Locally
The instructions here (http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Media_S ... g_ownCloud) say to do writing directly to stuff like "/var/hda/files/movies"... this is bad if people are using greyhole. I think most people will end up using greyhole so I wouldn't encourage people to write to that location. They should instead mount there shares to a different location and write to that (example: /mnt/samba/movies). The stuff under "/var/hda/files" shouldn't be written to directly.
Last edited by olson on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Hmm yes interesting. Recently a request was made to me by one of the Amahi admins to provide some Greyhole guidance for ownCloud use in the ownCloud wiki articles. Unfortunately I have no yet reached that "round to it". I had put some thoughts to it, you pretty much confirmed what I have been thinking. Good job! Thanks for your effort! It saves others a lot of sometime.

My scenario for using Amahi shares was not based on the use of Greyhole. I have been conversing with some Amahi users that don't want it use Greyhole but still use the default Amahi shares. Me, I don't use Greyhole (disabled), my server is simple and does not need any Greyhole features. I will update the wiki page for the Amahi share scenario to make that it clear.

PS: Those of you that have been following this forum thread please note that the use of Greyhole will effect the choice of backup application you use. I am currently working on a new wiki article on the subject of doing backups for Amahi ownCloud.

olson

Postby olson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:32 pm

I'm interested in how others are backing up there amahi OS. I have all my shares software raided (snapraid is sooo easy to setup... its amazing). All of that data will soon be backed up to crashplan as well. But OS backups/clones/images will be nice to have as well.

I think my instructions above should work for shares that don't use Greyhole... I'm not sure I see a reason why you wouldn't use greyhole if your using the shares though. I'd be interested to hear why people aren't using it.

I don't use Greyhole's replication feature (since I use snapraid) and only use it for its "pooling" ability... it will make for very easy expansion later on.