owncloud and samba shares

sanfelix

owncloud and samba shares

Postby sanfelix » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:41 pm

I'm investigating this great app owncloud for some time, but I think that the best function is that integrate with samba shares. The idea is that. You have the same files in owncloud web interface and dont have replicated files.

The amahi shares are on /var/hda/files
The owncloud app are in /var/hda/web-apps/owncloud/html
The owncloud user home folder is /var/hda/web-apps/owncloud/html/ and the usernme

The idea is that the users have her home folder in /var/hda/files and their user name and unify both services. When im tunning the php config file, owncloud dont let me write files here, there are a trouble with apache permissions

there is my html/config/config.php custom entry:

Code: Select all

"datadirectory" => '/var/hda/files',
Some people are having similar issues in their forums, see here: http://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2432

Cheers
Last edited by sanfelix on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: owncloud and samba shares

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:56 pm

We should never tune the php config file. Most things that apps need done to php can be done in the app in the form of .htaccess file.

Messing with the php.ini file is a recipe for disaster. It can often cause other apps to not work.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

sanfelix

Postby sanfelix » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:33 pm

We should never tune the php config file. Most things that apps need done to php can be done in the app in the form of .htaccess file.

Messing with the php.ini file is a recipe for disaster. It can often cause other apps to not work.

hi bigfoot. im think that you confused me. i'm hand edit the html/config/config.php file to try to see the same in owncloud interface and amahi shares, but there are a problem with permissions with apache user. i'm dont know how resolve this

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Yes I thought you meant php config, not owncloud. I understand now. What is the permissions issue? We made the ownCloud data area a share a while back and thought that might help.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 pm

I am the current tester for the owncloud V4.0.7 package on the F14 version of Amahi.

I understand what the reason to share existing Amahi file shares with owncloud stored files is, but it is not with out some challenges. I have been tinkering with owncloud for a few months now and have some familiarity with the software configurations. Although I am still learning.

The desire to share existing "populated" data directories (that "could be" samba share(s)) has been requested by a lot of people in the owncloud community. At this moment it is not one of that community's priorities. owncloud is still a newbie on the block but is maturing featurewise quickly. Unfortunately I don't see any upcoming answers to this particular feature.

Please keep an eye on the Amahi wiki in the near future. I will be publishing articles on owncloud on the Amahi platform as I have the time.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:08 am

We will have to see how the app evolves. It is still in it's infancy.

With the help of northridgegrp we are getting to a stable point where testing of the app may open up for others. I am unsure of when or how it will be done as the "Tester's" program is still in a state of flux.

We need someone from the community to volunteer to help get it back up and running. This program is integral to solidifying app stability, ensuring they are ready for LIVE status.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager