Hibernate / suspend on 12.04

karatefeet

Hibernate / suspend on 12.04

Postby karatefeet » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:44 am

Hello,

I've recently just installed Amahi on Ubuntu 12.04.2 and migrated all my data from WHS. One feature I miss from WHS is LightsOut which puts my server in standby according to a calendar. Reading about Amahi Energy Saver, am I correct to assume that it does not work on Ubuntu?

Curious as to how others have enabled their servers to hibernate / suspend? Actually not sure if many even do so. If so, are you able to use WOL to wake up the server?

TIA
Amahi / Ubuntu 12.04.2 on Acer Easystore H340 NAS

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Hibernate / suspend on 12.04

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Reading about Amahi Energy Saver, am I correct to assume that it does not work on Ubuntu?
That is correct. The author has abandoned making any updates for Ubuntu or Fedora 19 so far. We hoped there would be someone to take it over, but so far no one has stepped up.

You might try the internet for help on this one. Keep in mind if the HDA is your DHCP and DNS server for your clients, putting it to sleep or hibernating could result in clients losing internet connectivity.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

drkokandy

Postby drkokandy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:54 am

I have been using Amahi 6 on Ubuntu 12.04 as my HDA, and I would be careful if looking into using suspend/hibernate solutions because, like Bigfoot says, with Amahi acting as a DNS or DHCP server, on the rare occasion something has happened to power down, disable, or eat up all disk space on the / partition (stupid Ubuntu .xsession-errors bug), the client machines on my network all lose internet connectivity, and I don't always realize why immediately. My experience with these occasional issues might help you prepare for if you do try to hibernate.

For instance, if you hibernate on a schedule, when this happens, not only would your client computers (which might be off or asleep also) not be able to connect to the internet, in my experience they also would not be able to connect to other network resources, which impairs my backup strategy. This would also include mobile devices connected to Wi-Fi (which don't always detect the lost connectivity until you try to access a website) and game consoles (for instance, the PS3 checks for updates and backs up save files overnight).

Just my two cents.

karatefeet

Postby karatefeet » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have disabled DHCP on the hda, as my server is not on 24/7. I did manage to get WOL to work after updating the drivers for my network card. However there is a bug in Ubuntu where after suspend / hibernate and waking up, the first shutdown actually reboots the server. However subsequent shutdowns are normal. Haven't found a solution so far.

So I'm still playing around with it and for now am just shutting down the server when not needed.
Amahi / Ubuntu 12.04.2 on Acer Easystore H340 NAS