Linux File Permissions and Greyhole

jaskerx

Linux File Permissions and Greyhole

Postby jaskerx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:02 pm

So I've installed Xubuntu 12.04.3, and installed greyhole from the repos. Set it up following the usage file, everything seems to be working fine however when I copy a file to my storage pool with permissions of jason:users it ends up being copied to the pool as root:root leaving my read only user account unable to find the directory or read the file. Sure I could just copy a large quantity of files then chown and chmod the drive again but thats kind of a pita. How do I make greyhole inherit/keep file/folder permissions? Or how should I have this set up so that I can have my account (jason) have read/write access and have another account for read only?

The other problem I'm having is I'm unable to get minidlna to read the directories /mnt/samba/ (locally mounted shares) no matter how many times I chown the directory. Had to chown the /var/cache/minidlna to minidlna.minidlna to get it to connect to the sqlite db's. What do I need to do with my account permissions to get it to read the locally mounted shares?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Linux File Permissions and Greyhole

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:34 pm

I chown my entire /var/hda/files directory to myuser:users recursively and all works well for me. I believe the gh and drives folders are set to root initially. It seems to me that when I changed them to match my user, everything was fine.

As for DLNA, I always pointed the app to my normal share, not /mnt/samba. Never had any issues that recall.

Not sure if this will help you, but thought I would offer my experience.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

jaskerx

Postby jaskerx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks for your swift reply. I have chown -R jason:users to all my directories in /mnt. Just noticed that even when I create a folder through the network creates with root:root permissions. Reading smb.conf ubuntu manpage maybe something in there that I missed.

When you mean normal share do you mean the landing zone/samba share directories where all the symlinks are?

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Not much you can do to change Samba as it's controlled by Amahi. Anything you add in the smb.conf file will be overwritten at some point. There are extra options you can add via the dashboard per share though.

We have not tested Amahi on XUbuntu, so that could have something to do with your issue. We only support Ubuntu so cannot guarantee things will work as designed.

As for shares, yes I mean the normal share location or landing zone with the symlinks. They ownership is controlled there where as it's not so much in /mnt/samba by you.

Just a side note, Ubuntu is not the latest stable version of Amahi. Support is limited to maintenance only, so you will not see new features or apps added/updated. Our latest is Amahi 7 on Fedora 19 so if you looking for more, you might try that version.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

jaskerx

Postby jaskerx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:09 pm

To tell you the truth I don't even have amahi installed so I have full control of samba (maybe that's the problem). I just posted here because I thought my problem was with greyhole but now I'm thinking its just samba and a plain old linux file permission issue. Pointed minidlna at my landing zone folder which has the correct permissions (as far as I know) and keeps giving me error upnpsoap.c:1748: warn: Returning UPnPError 402: Invalid Args. More reading.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Maybe you should post in Greyhole forums. Might have more success plus we focus on helping Amahi users primarily here.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager