Apache will not start after app install

kent

Re: Apache will not start after app install

Postby kent » Sat May 11, 2013 3:15 pm

ok i made progress.. I missed out piece of information. When i noticed apache couldnt start i manually removed an application that existed in the /var/hda/web-apps/. i also removed the entry in the mysql database. Today i searched the apache log file and saw that part of the error pointed to the app that was manually removed. I recreated the app folders and removed the /var/lock/apache2 folder once again and restarted the service. This time the service started fine. I was able to get into the dashboard and remove the app the correct way.

One thing though when i searched the /var/lock/ folder i saw that the apache2 folder appeared again. And when i tried to restart apache it failed. Apparently the only way i can start apache is when i remove the /var/lock/apache2 folder. This shouldt be because if the server restarts the apache service will fail at start up because the /var/lock/apache2 folder exist.
I will then have to wait until the server finish boot and remove the /var/lock/apache2 folder and restart the service.

Any idea what went wrong..

Oh when i restart the service with the folder existing i get the same error.

/var/lock/apache2 already exists but is not a directory owned by apache.
Please fix manually. Aborting.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat May 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Hello, the information provided in this thread is lacking in concreteness. What is being asked is not being answered and generally leaves little room but to do guesswork, therefore, we can't help any more. Sorry.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rkillcrazy

Postby rkillcrazy » Tue May 28, 2013 1:35 pm

I have a similar issue. However, the error it spits out it as follows:

Code: Select all

sudo service apache2 start * Starting web server apache2 /var/lock/apache2 already exists but is not a directory owned by apache. Please fix manually. Aborting. [fail]
I also saw this one:

sudo service apache2 restart Syntax error on line 8 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/1000-phpsysinfo.conf: AllowOverride not allowed here Action 'configtest' failed. The Apache error log may have more information. ...fail!
I too looked at and tried the workaround but to no avail. Now, I'm looking into how to comment out or remove the phpsysinfo app that was installed through the HDA dashboard.
Amahi HDA:
  • MOBO: ASRock K10N78
  • CPU: AMD Athlon II 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
  • RAM: 2-GB (dual-channel)
  • HDDs: WD20EARS (qty: 4)
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400

rkillcrazy

Postby rkillcrazy » Tue May 28, 2013 1:48 pm

I have a similar issue. However, the error it spits out it as follows:

sudo service apache2 start * Starting web server apache2 /var/lock/apache2 already exists but is not a directory owned by apache. Please fix manually. Aborting. [fail]
I also saw this one:

sudo service apache2 restart Syntax error on line 8 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/1000-phpsysinfo.conf: AllowOverride not allowed here Action 'configtest' failed. The Apache error log may have more information. ...fail!
I too looked at and tried the workaround but to no avail. Now, I'm looking into how to comment out or remove the phpsysinfo app that was installed through the HDA dashboard.
I ended up editing /etc/httpd/conf.d/1000-phpsysinfo.conf and commenting out the line regarding AlowOverride. Then, I followed the workaround mentioned earlier in this threat. Once I was back into the dashboard I uninstalled the PhpSysInfo app.
Amahi HDA:
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Good to hear you got it resolved. Odd that this crops up occasionally. I tested phpSysInfo on Ubuntu 12.04 with no issues. Wonder if a recent OS update has caused the problem.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rkillcrazy

Postby rkillcrazy » Tue May 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Good to hear you got it resolved. Odd that this crops up occasionally. I tested phpSysInfo on Ubuntu 12.04 with no issues. Wonder if a recent OS update has caused the problem.
Not sure about any updates. This servers has been offline for weeks; I'm just now getting to working with it. I did all updates today as well, hoping that a fix for apache's bug would come down. It didn't.....
Amahi HDA:
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Yea the apache fix appears to still be looming in the distance. The AllowOverride is what caught me off guard. I have not seen that error before. Is there something different about this HDA install? Is it the latest 12.04.2?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rkillcrazy

Postby rkillcrazy » Wed May 29, 2013 3:07 am

Yea the apache fix appears to still be looming in the distance. The AllowOverride is what caught me off guard. I have not seen that error before. Is there something different about this HDA install? Is it the latest 12.04.2?
Nothing different about this install that I know of. Yes, it's the latest LTS with all updates as of yesterday.
Amahi HDA:
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:56 am

We may never know the issue. Recommend you try Linfo. I like it better than phpSysInfo.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

arthurdent4242

Postby arthurdent4242 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Just wanted to say that this just happened to me on an A6 box with and update that happened today. rm'ing the lock folder fixed the problem for me, at least for now.