IP address issues on Ubuntu 12.04.2 server edition

dforbes

IP address issues on Ubuntu 12.04.2 server edition

Postby dforbes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:35 pm

So, real life has kept me away from Amahi lately, but I thought I'd take the opportunity of a HD upgrade to reinstall afresh and get up to speed on Ubuntu-based Amahi. Server is headless, relatively uncomplicated (Intel D510MO board, a small SSD for the OS and big spinning disk for data) and has been running happily on Fedora Core 14 for some time.

Install seemed to progress ok, and I can use Ubuntu without issues. However, during the install of Amahi, I noticed an error about not being able to find a file called "ifcfg-eth0" or similar. When I reboot, I find that the machine is still trying to get an IP address by DHCP, rather than using the fixed address that I configured on Amahi.org. I can manually set the IP address, but it resets every so often and is getting old quickly (as I have to guess the IP to ssh into...).

To check that it's not something specific to the machine, or a screw up in the install process, I've run a completely clean install in a VM and I get the same outcome (relies on DHCP-provided address, not the one configured). I don't get the same effect if I use the Desktop version of Ubuntu as the base (in the VM). (Note-to-self: test stuff in a VM before mucking with the real machine...)

Is this a known issue or have I just missed a step? Is the only solution to reinstall based on the Desktop version?

Thanks,

DF

cpg
Administrator

Re: IP address issues on Ubuntu 12.04.2 server edition

Postby cpg » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Hey there! We did an update to switch to network manager that maybe is what is causing trouble.

One workaround is to configure the IP as static by hand.

Will make some room to test the server version.

Any specific version? I think there may also a couple of minor LTS releases since then (12.04.1 perhaps .2).
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

dforbes

Postby dforbes » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Not sure what the issue is. I could see an "Amahi Network" file in /etc/Network Manager/system-connections that had the correct info in it (as far as I could see). However, I gave up trying to find out why that wasn't being picked up and reinstalled the desktop version. All well now.

Interestingly, with the desktop version, the same file is called "Wired connection 1"

Version is LTS 12.04.2, downloaded late last week.

DF

highlan

Postby highlan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:46 pm

dforbes,

I ran into the same problem you did. If you still want to run Amahi on server edition, I solved the issue by following a youtube video to manually change the IP address (what can I say, I'm a total newbie when it comes to any form of linux)

You can read about my issue (with a link to the video) here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4599

trw3937

Postby trw3937 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:46 pm

Set the ip as stated above manually during install and ignore the networking error after amahi install is done.
Worked for me recently. There are apps that may want NM. The wiki has the workaround for that.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:07 am

See the guidance here for a work around.

https://bugs.amahi.org/issues/1015
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2