cannot disable DHCP/DNS servers

patrickwasp

cannot disable DHCP/DNS servers

Postby patrickwasp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi,

I have tried to Settings -> Servers and unchecking "watch dog" and "start on boot" for both services, but they still start on boot. I have also tried to comment out the start bits in the /etc/init/isc-dhcp-server.conf file as suggested in the wiki http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Turning_off_DHCP but it ddin't do anything either.

Using Ubuntu 12.04. any ideas?

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: cannot disable DHCP/DNS servers

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:55 pm

The wiki guidance should have done the trick. Unless there is something new that we have not encountered yet.

I presume you also stopped the servers. You can try editing the /etc/monit/conf.d/dhcp.conf or whatever it is named. Comment out the start/stop lines, then restart monit.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Pretty much ignore my previous post. None of it worked correctly. Here's what I ended up doing to get DHCP server to stay off.

Code: Select all

sudo update-rc.d -f isc-dhcp-server remove sudo update-rc.d -f isc-dhcp-server6 remove sudo mv /etc/init.d/isc-dhcpserver /home/username sudo mv /etc/init.d/isc-dhcpserver6 /home/username
Via the HDA Dashboard I disabled watchdog and start on boot. Then rebooted the machine and presto, it is now off.

UPDATE: It seems to come back to life after a few minutes, so this does not work either. No matter what I have tried, nothing seems to work.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

patrickwasp

Postby patrickwasp » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:40 pm

so is that it then? Ubuntu has no mechanism to shut down the DHCP/DNS service? I wish ubuntu server came with a control panel.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:58 pm

It does not appear there is way. This is an Ubuntu bug I believe. I am still researching, but not having a lot of luck.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Tried something new and it appears to have worked.

Code: Select all

sudo cd /etc/init sudo mv isc-dhcpserver.conf isc-dhcp-server.override sudo mv isc-dhcpserver6.conf isc-dhcp-server6.override
Then I unchecked watchdog and start on boot. Rebooted the machine and checked the status in the dashboard servers section. It was stopped :D

I claim victory!!
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:38 pm

coool!

do the override files have any meaning? or is it just to get them out of the way?

this seems to be a great clue to the root cause of the issue. any insights into why this works?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:50 pm

According to what I have read, renaming upstart services in this manner prevents them from running. Apparently Ubuntu looks for .conf files in that directory. If it does not find them, the service will not run. I don't think the naming matters as long as they are not .conf files. We could use disabled or override and it would work.

If you try to start it manually, it will not work as well. The only way to return the service to normal is rename the files back to .conf. If we could do this in the Dashboard, that would be cool.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

patrickwasp

Postby patrickwasp » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:09 am

OK, that worked. I'm still surpirsed that a professional distro doesn't have a command to enable/disable services at boot. something like this would be great:

service dhcpserver start|stop|restart|disable|enable|status

Or even better a GUI system panel made by ubuntu to do this stuff.

Is there a similar way to disable DNS also? Thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:33 am

They are in between the legacy and upstart service conversion as are many distros. The typical start/stop is there, but services are enabled and disabled differently in both.

Hopefully one day it will get fixed. Of course, have to expect some issues with FREE software. With open source, sometimes there is a price to pay. Not a big deal, just an annoyance really.

As for the DNS, there is no reason to disable it. The HDA needs it to resolve things locally. If you disable it, I believe it will break Amahi. Since you are using your routers DHCP, would think you would use its DNS as well. The HDA DNS will run on its own fine without interferring with your routers DNS. However, if you do want to disable it, should be the same method.

BTW, you can point the HDA DNS to your router's or another DNS provider easily using the wiki guidance:
http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Changin ... S_provider
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager