nullmailer fails to connect to SMTP server using TLS

kprp

nullmailer fails to connect to SMTP server using TLS

Postby kprp » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Hi,
I noticed my syslog was filling up with outgoing emails going to a pre-configured black hole that is, by all appearances, not discussed in the wiki. After some research, I configured the remotes file, the adminaddr file and soon begain seeing connection attempts to my smtp server at gmail. The connection failed because google expects a TLS login. Tried several other services with same result.

Ended up going to the developer's web site, found that the Debian distribution is about 5 revs below what the developer offers for a download. The last two versions of his product support TLS/SSL connections however, his package is an RPM package. I followed the compilation instructions and installed the dependencies, compile installed and no joy!

There are a few assumptions made on the UBUNTU distribution that do not match the latest version of the product such as the service assuming a user id of mail:root while the new product assumes nullmail:nullmail. The installation directories assumed in the Debian distribution have also been revised to new defaults in the new versions of the product. This could be corrected with a few tweaks of the make file. The service as it is today would need a few tweaks to make it work.

Before getting into this experience, I though of coming here to ask if someone could guide me as to how I can get a Debian package done for nullmailer as it seems to be the default mta for Amahi/Ubuntu. Perhaps there is another solution for this that I would need to know about.

Can anyone offer some guidance on this?

Current Debian distro: 1.05-1
Current version: 1.11, TLS/SSL support was implemented in v1.10 / April 2012
Web site: http://untroubled.org/nullmailer/ANNOUNCEMENT

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: nullmailer fails to connect to SMTP server using TLS

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:57 pm

A bug was filed about this issue. It can be fixed by removing nullmailer package. You can install exim as a replacement or postfix. No need to go to extremes to resolve this issue.

If you follow the wiki guidance for using gmail as a relay, it will also solve this issue plus allow you to get emails from the HDA sent to any address.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Gmail_A ... _On_Ubuntu
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

pago

Postby pago » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:46 pm

I also have this issue. Every 30 sec a new nullmailer entry appears in the syslog. Looking in one of the files located at /var/spool/nullmailer/queue i saw that those messages are fsck reports from greyhole.

Should i just do "apt-get remove nullmailer" and all is fixed?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:51 pm

Follow the guidance in the Amahi bug report.
https://bugs.amahi.org/issues/961

Not sure if this will get fixed as we have moved to Amahi 7 on Fedora 19. Ubuntu and older Fedora versions are in maintenance mode, which means unless it breaks nothing will be updated to include apps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager