12.04: Synaptic doesn't seem to launch through VNC

taa

12.04: Synaptic doesn't seem to launch through VNC

Postby taa » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Ubuntu 12.04 server, AMD 64 bit, headless

I know it is important NOT to install Ubuntu updates until after Amahi is up and running. I've also gone ahead and installed several apps from Amahi App Central, and now I'm ready to install Ubuntu security updates.

Using the VNC app available through Amahi App Central, I'm able to connect fine to the HDA and see a Gnome desktop. If I try either of the following, nothing seems to happen, and I did wait several minutes in case it needed a while to "think"....

Applications->System Tools->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager

Applications->System Tools->System Settings->Details->Install Updates (the button briefly shows "Checking for Updates" before changing to "Install Updates"

Any ideas what I can check to find out why Synatpic doesn't seem to launch?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: 12.04: Synaptic doesn't seem to launch through VNC

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Since Ubuntu Server is without a Desktop until you install VNC, it only installs the basic components. Synaptic Package Manager may not be one that is complete. It could be an Ubuntu bug too as we only install the basic interface for VNC.

If you really want desktop apps, recommend you install the Ubuntu Desktop. Otherwise you are going to continue to find things not working or available as you would see in the Desktop version. Users who are not comfortable with Command Line tend to not use Ubuntu Server just for that reason.

Headless has no bearing on whether it's the Desktop or Server edition as both can be used in that fashion. The main reason for installing Ubuntu Server is to not have a Desktop or all the apps that come with it. Less hard drive space and resources required.

You can install updates via Terminal using command line.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update sudo apg-et upgrade
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

taa

Postby taa » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Since Ubuntu Server is without a Desktop until you install VNC, it only installs the basic components. Synaptic Package Manager may not be one that is complete. It could be an Ubuntu bug too as we only install the basic interface for VNC.
Aha... that makes perfect sense now that I know what the VNC one-click does from the description above.
If you really want desktop apps, recommend you install the Ubuntu Desktop. Otherwise you are going to continue to find things not working or available as you would see in the Desktop version.
I don't plan on installing desktop apps unless I have to. The only reason I had installed the VNC one-click is because I thought something had gone wrong during the Amahi install: Step 3 of the install instructions said the desktop would be presented after the first reboot of Amahi, and when it didn't appear, I thought I would try the VNC one-click. (I've since learned I did not need to -- issue #959 -- but I'm keeping VNC installed so I can use Gparted for preparing drives I'll be adding to the Greyhole pool.) Once VNC was working, I was poking around the desktop, and seeing what I thought were lots of useful utilities, but now I know I should not rely on them being present, which is fine.
Headless has no bearing on whether it's the Desktop or Server edition as both can be used in that fashion.
I didn't think so either, but I was asked once in the IRC, after stating I'd installed the server edition, as to whether it was running headless, and have been including the headless state out of habit. If it isn't needed, great, but I was asked.
The main reason for installing Ubuntu Server is to not have a Desktop or all the apps that come with it. Less hard drive space and resources required.
Yep, and that's how I like my servers. Lean! And I (and my doctor!) like my bacon even leaner. :D

prodriguezii

Postby prodriguezii » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Open a terminal in VNC and issue

Code: Select all

sudo synaptic
This should launch it for you.

taa

Postby taa » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Works perfect -- thanks, prodriguezii!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Good to hear. Would someone mind adding this to the wiki? Recommend adding it to the VNC page. Maybe a TIPS area or something.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks!
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager