Ubuntu partitioning

plodkiller

Ubuntu partitioning

Postby plodkiller » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:56 pm

I am very interested in this version of amahi but would like to know how ubuntu sets up it's partitioning.....I was very fond of the fedora 12 partitioning which just merged all my discs automatically....which did not happen with fedora 14....I have multiple backups of my data so am not really interested in greyhole. How does ubuntu set itself up?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Ubuntu partitioning

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:16 am

Not sure if we have captured that anywhere. You can find out one of two ways. Either try an install and when it gets to the partitioning stage, you will see how it's done. The other way would be to google it.

Amahi does not change how the OS is installed, just integrates with it. The pooling of drives you mention I believe is the Logical Disk Volume or LVM. Ubuntu does not use it by default if I remember correctly. There are tutorials on the internet that do show how to do it though.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

VAmoroso

Re: Ubuntu partitioning

Postby VAmoroso » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:32 pm

I am very interested in this version of amahi but would like to know how ubuntu sets up it's partitioning.....I was very fond of the fedora 12 partitioning which just merged all my discs automatically....which did not happen with fedora 14....I have multiple backups of my data so am not really interested in greyhole. How does ubuntu set itself up?
I too very much liked the LVM configuration of Fedora 14 and have spent the last few days getting it down.

Ideally, I would like to neatly add to the wiki all the small tweaks and idiosyncrasies I've come across (LVM, VNC-Lightdm, DLNA); it will just depend on my schedule. Until then, here's how to partition like in Fedora 14:
This is nearly analogous to the Fedora14 instructions which can be cross-referenced.

NB: Depending if you want a fresh install, there *may* be a remnant MBR/GPT segment from a previous Fedora-installation. A useful tool such as Parted Magic can easily come in handy here.