shares write permission, samba speed

melnik

shares write permission, samba speed

Postby melnik » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi all, please help with some troubleshooting of AMAHI on UBUNTU:

1. When I connect to samba share first time after a clean install (I did do reinstall) the only user that can create files or make changes is the one that owns the “/var/hda/files” directory (i.e. first admin user). Using chown command to switch ownership to a different username allows write access to that user but again he will be the only one who can write to the share. I did go through share troubleshooting without much success and am hoping to find some help here.

2. Writing speeds to server are in the range of 8-20 MB/sec, reading speeds are 50 MB/sec. Anything I can do to increase writing speeds? I do not have write cache setting in bios. Writing speeds without greyhole were in the range of 40 MB/sec. Possible cause? Monit process constantly loads 30% of CPU and some times webmin is showing full 100% load on Pentium 4 2.4GHZ CPU (samba process is partially cause of that).

I will be happy to provide any logs or information that is needed

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by melnik on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apastor

Re: shares write permission, samba speed

Postby apastor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Well it looks like you are all setup for gigabit speeds. I can only think of 2 things to speed of the transfers.

Update drivers for NIC, and or change out CPU in in server.

When I first setup my server, I was using a low powered AMD dual-core 2650 i think it was. I was getting about 40-50MB/sec i believe. Then I changed the CPU to a AMD Phenom quad core and my rates jumped up to 80-90MB/sec.

Now i am not saying go swap out your CPU and you will get those speeds, I do not know. Im just sharing my experience. Your CPU is older so it may be the reason. Only teating it you will know for sure.

::EDIT::

Here is my post (a year old almost to the day)
http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?p=15471#p15471
Proxmox Server: Currently Not Running Amahi
CPU: AMD FX 6100 Six Core
RAM: 8GB DDR3
HDD: 4x1TB RAID10 (Adaptec)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Is this Ubuntu or Fedora? If it's Ubuntu, please post in the Ubuntu topic area for future.

Share should be writable to any user that has an account in the dashboard. Ensure /var/hda/files is owned by the firstadminuser:users recursively.

If you create new shares, you will need to change the ownership manually due to a known bug. The other permissions should be 775 as well, so need to do chmod 755 -R /var/hda/files to fix that if its wrong.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

melnik

Postby melnik » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:23 pm

To apastor:
Just like you were, i am skeptical that cpu whose mobo has built in gigabit lan is not sufficient but i will have to give it a try once i get enough cash on my hands.
To bigfoot65:
Could you please elaborate how to apply " owned by the firstadminuser:users" i.e. what exactly firstadminuser:users means? If my first admin user is admin09 will it be "chown -hR admin09:user1,user2,user3 /var/hda/files/"?
Thank you guys!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Not quite. You would do chown -R admin09:users /var/hda/files. The other users (user1,user2,user3) should be able to write to the shares.

If this is Ubuntu, you will need to precede the command with sudo.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:56 pm

2. Writing speeds to server are in the range of 8-20 MB/sec, reading speeds are 50 MB/sec. Anything I can do to increase writing speeds?
All my samba speed problems (especially the slow transfers on locally mounted shares) went away when I upgraded Fedora 14 to Fedora 16 (newer version of samba, libs and kernel with drivers).

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:03 pm

Beware that Fedora 16 is not Amahi supported. We started it, but then stopped development. We strongly discourage anyone installing Fedora 16 with Amahi as it's unsupported. There are things that may break or not work correctly.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

melnik

Postby melnik » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:02 pm

I do run UBUNTU, next time i will post in ubuntu forum, sorry for the confusion but thank you for help!
Now thing seems to partially work - main admin and one of the other users do have write permissions. Another user probably would have permissions too but cannot connect to samba share. I tried changing domain to HOME or hda.home.com without success. Tried creating new user - same story. SMB.conf does have user names listed for a given share. Rebooting PC to see if that helps.

Also if anyone can advise me how to update NIC drivers on ubuntu server i would be very happy :)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Hope that sorts it out for you. What OS is the client you are having problems with?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Also if anyone can advise me how to update NIC drivers on ubuntu server i would be very happy :)
This can be complicated, depending on your hardware. We can't help you if you don't tell us what NIC you are using.

1. Most drivers (open source) come with the kernel. You update these when you update the kernel. To know if a new driver version is out you can check the kernel change logs on kernel.org. Ubuntu sometimes releases kernel updates with backported drivers and fixes from newer kernel versions. You can also get newer kernels from the ubuntu backports repository (but beware that backports that are not in the main ubuntu repository are not officially supported).

2. Some drivers (modules) are supplied by the manufacturers. You can download new version for your distribution version (ubuntu in your case) from their websites. Sometimes they give a prebuilt package (deb file in your case) and sometimes an install script that builds the modules (drivers) from source for your kernel version.