ubuntu+headless+desktop

bigmango

Re: ubuntu+headless+desktop

Postby bigmango » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:34 pm

If you install Ubuntu Server, no need to do that. You can follow guidance for VNC on the server version and it will install the pieces needed.
Great! When I get the time, I'll reinstall my Fedora 16 (which is working perfectly btw) with Ubuntu Server. This is IMHO the most solid up to date base for a linux home server.

But please tell me, is Ubuntu now going to be the #1 base for Amahi? (before Fedora #2 ?). Will you only support the ubuntu LTS versions (meaning it will be old when/if you come out with Fedora 17) or will you also update it to the newer non-LTS versions, which I am hoping for? :)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:42 pm

Not for sure, but I would speculate Fedora will still be the top one. Ubuntu is the alternative.

I don't anticipate supporting other Ubuntu versions besides LTS unless they work with no additional platform changes. We just don't have the resources to update twice a year for Ubuntu. That is why we choose LTS, that way we can do it once and add features over time since it has 5 year support.

This is just my opinion, so to get the one that counts you need to ask the boss.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Not for sure, but I would speculate Fedora will still be the top one. Ubuntu is the alternative.

I don't anticipate supporting other Ubuntu versions besides LTS unless they work with no additional platform changes. We just don't have the resources to update twice a year for Ubuntu. That is why we choose LTS, that way we can do it once and add features over time since it has 5 year support.

This is just my opinion, so to get the one that counts you need to ask the boss.
Fedora is only a test ground for Red Hat, how can you keep this as a #1 base for a server ? :?: :!:

Look at the trouble you had with Fedora 16. They move on and forget/neglect things. For example, the problem I had was that the new Gnome in F16 has changed power management. So if you are in runlevel 3 the desktop is not running and so the Power Switch does not work. Fedora 14 had slow samba transfers issues. Earlier versions had other issues. Crap like this happens much less on Ubuntu because Ubuntu is not a testbench.

PS: furthermore, your small team (which is doing a great job btw) is already overwhelmed, why support 2 bases (especially since Ubuntu is a serious release version OS and Fedora only a playground). :arrow: Other than the config files and base system structure they are both doing exactly the same thing.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:15 pm

As I said, just my opinion. I based it off of our past history thus far. We have been on Fedora for years, since version 9 when I started. Not sure if that will change, but I understand each has it's own pros and cons.

We may not be able to sustain 2 OS versions over time, don't know as this is a first for Amahi. We will have to see which direction the boss wants to take in the future. I do know that there are some cool features planned for Fedora 17. Not sure if Ubuntu has the same capability for them. If so, then hope to see them on both.

Guess we will have to see how the community reacts.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:06 pm

As I said, just my opinion. I based it off of our past history thus far. We have been on Fedora for years, since version 9 when I started. Not sure if that will change, but I understand each has it's own pros and cons.

We may not be able to sustain 2 OS versions over time, don't know as this is a first for Amahi. We will have to see which direction the boss wants to take in the future. I do know that there are some cool features planned for Fedora 17. Not sure if Ubuntu has the same capability for them. If so, then hope to see them on both.

Guess we will have to see how the community reacts.
  1. The only pro Fedora has is also a con. The pro is that Fedora is bleeding edge, meaning that you get the latest software versions and so you can update your system to a new version every 6 months. But this brings issues, things are not tested enough, things that worked don't work anymore, etc... and issues on the bug tracker can take years to get fixed.

This can be good enough for a desktop (nice to have the latest software), but not a server. If you want a red hat base for an open source server you go centos and not Fedora. Centos is more stable and tested longer (same as the redhat release version). Downside of centos? The software is old. See, you can't have both sides of the coin with Redhat.
  2. On the other hand you have Ubuntu (both sides of the coin :) ). The software is a little older than Fedora (but only a very little, we are talking a few months here, which is nothing), but it is also a release version server.

As for the community, in the old days you had those who prefered rpm vs deb, the redhat way of doing things vs debian. Today both work great so this doesn't matter anymore. Other than the system structure and Fedora being more buggy, both are the same OS, it doesn't change anything for the end user (especially since we are talking server and not desktop). Taking the above into account, there's no reason not to go with Ubuntu as #1; those who want Fedora can have the testground as #2 (but you don't have the resources for that :arrow: better to spend the time getting the apps up to date (which you currently don't have time for :!: )

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:29 am

We all have our own opinions which do not reflect that of all users. Appreciate your feedback and we will have to see where Amahi goes in the future.

I am confident whatever direction, it will be successful no matter what the OS distro chosen.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

wobbly

Postby wobbly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:25 pm

ok what work for me

1 xubuntu-12.04-desktop-amd64 ios
2 install xubuntu "after testing i found xfce much quicker then ubuntu"
3 login into xubuntu
4 load terminal
5 add root password with

Code: Select all

sudo passwd
6 stop lightdm at startup (make headless) with

sudo echo "manual" >> /etc/init/lightdm.override
if you wand to restore it enter

sudo rm /etc/init/lightdm.override
7 install amahi

wget http://u12.amahi.org/install-amahi
then

sh install-amahi

8 reboot (the hda Amahi is now running and ready to use)
9 to load desktop login and enter

startx
10 have fun
note should work with ubuntu "untested"
Last edited by wobbly on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Awesome. Would you be willing to add this to the wiki? I am thinking a page with user recommended install methods.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

wobbly

Postby wobbly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:07 pm

yep if i knew how .. iam also going to make a youtube video
one thing how meanly vm of amahi can i have ? just the 2 hda's or can i have more ?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:13 pm

There is a limit I am sure, but it's more than 2. I think I have like 10 HDA profiles set up right now with one account.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager