Install on a already setup Ubuntu Server

skeal

Install on a already setup Ubuntu Server

Postby skeal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:26 pm

Nice to hear from the progress.so after 64bit is supported: Can i install HDA on my ubuntu 12.04 server that is running for some weeks now? i already use greyhole with success on it. Will amahi "destroy" my config or files? Also there is a openvpn connection wich i use now. will it be availible afterwards or (what wouldn't be a problem) do i have to set it up again?

skeal

Re: Install on a already setup Ubuntu Server

Postby skeal » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:07 am

as i am a friend of no risk no fun i did a install :)

Issues so far:
- smbd.conf is completely overwritten. So all my shares are deletet. Not that big problem but not nice :)
- ["FIXED"] don't do a remote installation ... after the reboot the machine seems to reboot again and stays dead then...
- greyhole.conf also overwritten
- greyhole fsck stopped working after adding the harddrives and shares with: PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function normalizer_normalize()
Had to do:
sudo pecl install intl
create/edit /etc/php5/conf.d/intl.ini -> extension=intl.so

Nice:
- openvpn-connection still works after install and reboot

Will continue the list piece by piece if there are more things to tell

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:14 am

It is best if Amahi is done on a fresh install. We have not indicated that it will work on an existing Ubuntu install.

We would have indicated this in response to your initial post, but you did not give us a chance. It is important to follow the wiki guidance otherwise you assume the risk for deviations.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Ubuntu

Amahi is not designed to be added on top of an existing Ubuntu install with other applications already running such as Greyhole. This is just a recipe for disaster. Amahi is an add in platform that does modify some key components such as Samba, Apache, and a few others.

We appreciate your feedback and spirit of testing the waters. If you want to help us test Ubuntu, recommend you do it on a fresh install. Your current install path is not going to be typical for most users, so it may not be as helpful as a normal install. What we need tested most, how Amahi works after an install as documented in the wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

skeal

Postby skeal » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:47 am

sorry if it ilse false understood ... i didn't want to blame you :-(

this is just a reflection of what i discovered on my install for help for others that could have the same errors.

so yes i know this isn't the right way to do but i wanted to test :-)

if any files would have gone away, it would have been also ok. so no problem :)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:01 am

No problem, I understand your desire to try without having to start from scratch. I just wanted to ensure everyone knew that this type of install can be disastrous.

Users tend to modify configurations and add software that Amahi may break. This is something that is too broad to capture, so that's why we will only support new Ubuntu install issues. We don't have the resources to anything else.

I would hope others would follow the prescribed Amahi guidance. You are only asking for trouble if you do anything else.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2