Ubuntu HDA Beta

chuvk

Ubuntu HDA Beta

Postby chuvk » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:06 pm

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 server and then installed Amahi beta last night from the cli on a Hyper-v vitual machine and had no problems other than ip add config and gateway which I corrected as per the wiki.

Since I already have fedora 14 with Amahi runnuing on the same Hyper-v machine, I disabled dns and dhcp on the new machine. I will shutdown fedora and reenable dns and dhcp in ubuntu in a few days as time permits.

With Fedora I needed to run a legacy nic adapter and no integration componets. However with Ubuntu I ran a regular nic and all integration componets were already available in ubuntu.

I updated and then installed openssh to be able to run putty from my win 7 machine. After that I installed gnome core and vnc server on Ubuntu and conected via vnc client from my win 7 machine and now am running headles again.

I will next make some virtual disks available to ubuntu and test greyhole. Along with some other apps. Will update as I progress.

chuvk

Re: Ubuntu HDA Beta

Postby chuvk » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:48 am

I have made some more progress. I set up two virtual disks, mounted them and added them to the greyhole pool and they seem to be working well. I copied data to the various files in amahi, ie, Music, Documents, Movies, Pictures. Will wait to see how greyhole handles it. about 5GB total.

I installed webmin from the Amahi apps link and setup a cron job to start a script for vncserver on boot. Is working well.

Only problem is at each reboot I have to stop the dns server and dhcp server. I have uncheched watchdog and the start at boot time boxes, but still they restart at each boot.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:48 am

Awesome. Would you be so kind as to file a bug in the bug tracker? It is located at bugs at amahi dot org. There is a specific Ubuntu area that we are keeping all issues in for visibility.

I am currently running an HDA as a production box in my network. My Fedora 14 machine is currently off. So far I have not had any issues. I have not disabled any services as you have, but using Greyhole and apps with no issues.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

chuvk

Postby chuvk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:56 pm

I shutdown my Fedora 14 Amahi 27 hours ago and have been using Ubuntu Amahi to manage my network 100% since.

All services are enabled and I have installed a number of apps including Ampache, ajaxplorer and phpmysql, to name a few. I have had no issues.

I am running Ubuntu 32 bit as a virtual machine on windows 2008r2 core with hyper-v. I ran the Fedora Amahi in the same enviroment for over a year with no problems. I have given Ubuntu 2GB of ram and passed through 3 Hard disks with a total of 4TB of storage and added them to Greyhole for pooling.

Note: prior to passing through the hard disks I backed up all data in case of problems, but as of now have had none.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:23 pm

Awesome. That's what we want to hear :) I have done the same thing, but running on real hardware. I have been running my HDA on Ubuntu 64-bit for almost a week.

No issue and SSH and VPN work fine.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

chuvk

Postby chuvk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:50 pm

I have been using vpn and ssh also. I additionally installed a vncserver with gnome core in Ubuntu and connect from my windows 7 with either putty or tightvnc with no issues.

After installing vnc server I had some difficulty starting it on boot using rc.local so I installed webmin from Amahi apps and wrote a script that starts vncserver with a cron job on boot and have had no problems since. i believe the problem with rc.local is an Umbuntu problem not Amahi.

I have always run Amahi from a virtual machine starting with Fedora 12 in vmware server on Windows. Then moving to 2008r2 core Hyper-v for Fedora 14 and now Ubuntu. This enables me to run several OSs at the sametime on one machine, which is important as I have a very limited budget.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:17 am

Good to hear. Did you by chance document the steps you followed for installing VNC? It might be beneficial to add that to the Amahi wiki for others. All the guidance we have now is for Fedora, so no one has really attempted it on Ubuntu.

We would greatly appreciate it if you had time to contribute.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

smccloud

Postby smccloud » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:05 am

I would love to see how to start the vncserver on boot since I am having to SSH in and then start it on every reboot.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 am

Do the following:

Code: Select all

sudo update-rc.d servicename defaults
Replace servicename with the VNC service name.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

smccloud

Postby smccloud » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Do the following:

Code: Select all

sudo update-rc.d servicename defaults
Replace servicename with the VNC service name.
If it had a script in init.d :(

chuvk made it a cron job, thats what I was talking about.