Ubuntu HDA Beta

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Ubuntu HDA Beta

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:46 pm

When the Amahi app is fixed it will have one.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

chuvk

Postby chuvk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Do the following:

Code: Select all

sudo update-rc.d servicename defaults
Replace servicename with the VNC service name.
If it had a script in init.d :(

chuvk made it a cron job, thats what I was talking about.
I am not an expert at programming, but I am good at using google and following instructions. I used the instructions on this website to start vnc on boot with a cron job:

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure-the-server/Run-VNC-on-boot.html
There is a lot of other interesting info on this site. Maybe some of this can be incorporated into the Amahi wiki.

chuvk

Postby chuvk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:03 pm

Good to hear. Did you by chance document the steps you followed for installing VNC? It might be beneficial to add that to the Amahi wiki for others. All the guidance we have now is for Fedora, so no one has really attempted it on Ubuntu.

We would greatly appreciate it if you had time to contribute.
I did document the steps and would be happy to post them to the wiki when I have time. However, everything I did to install vncserver I got from a website called have the know how and it worked flawlessly. I will have time next week, but I don't know if it's correct to copy someone else's how to without permission. Maybe if I credited them on the wiki. Let me know what you think.

The website add is

http://www.havetheknowhow.com

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:43 am

I don't see an issue with documenting the steps. I would make it Amahi specific and you can include the reference you used which would give the author credit. We want to make it simple and easy for all Amahi users.

It can be included on the existing VNC page, but I would make a new heading for Ubuntu 12.04 to keep it separate from Fedora guidance.

We would greatly appreciate any documentation you are willing to provide in the wiki. It's the community users such as you that help make the wiki a good source of info.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

chuvk

Postby chuvk » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:57 pm

I don't see an issue with documenting the steps. I would make it Amahi specific and you can include the reference you used which would give the author credit. We want to make it simple and easy for all Amahi users.

It can be included on the existing VNC page, but I would make a new heading for Ubuntu 12.04 to keep it separate from Fedora guidance.

We would greatly appreciate any documentation you are willing to provide in the wiki. It's the community users such as you that help make the wiki a good source of info.
Okay I will document the steps I did in the wiki when I have the time on Monday.

Thanks for your imput.

chuvk

Postby chuvk » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:06 pm

I documented the steps I used to install VNC Server and a virtual desktop in the wiki. The link is:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Install ... rver_12.04

I s there anything else I need to do for it?

Chuvk

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:07 am

Awesome and thanks! I think we need to make one revision though. No need to use Webmin. A cronjob can be easily added via command line.

We would prefer to steer folks away from Webmin unless they are experienced users with Linux as you can really mess up your OS if not careful. As root user do:

crontab -u apache -e
Enter the following and save it.
@reboot ​/home/xxxx/scripts/StartVNC.sh >/dev/null​
It should start on reboot. We do this in a few apps. I may try to incorporate some of this in the current Amahi VNC app for Ubuntu. Want to get the one-click working as well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager