Ubuntu Updates: servers area, watchdog fixes, installer ...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Ubuntu Updates: servers area, watchdog fixes, installer ...

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:40 am

Anyone who is testing Ubuntu with Amahi will not wanna miss the latest updates. While some of the fixes are only available after doing a new install, many of them are available with the automatic updates.

We hope to make it easier to upgrade for future updates, however, the best way to help test is via a reinstall.

As always, if you find any problems or issues please report them here or in the bug tracker.

Thanks to all who have tested so far!
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Ubuntu Updates: servers area, watchdog fixes, installer

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:45 am

One issue we are already aware is with the mount_shares_locally script. I tried the Ubuntu version from the Greyhole web site and it was not working correctly.

http://bugs.amahi.org/issues/show/924
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

marcerickson

Postby marcerickson » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:21 pm

My install was trouble free - but I still can't connect to IBM's network when the Amahi server is up. My issue is described here:
http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3932

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Seems like there was some solutions provided for you issue, no? If so, did you try any of them. It sounds like they are both could be on the same subnet which may cause conflicts.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

smccloud

Postby smccloud » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Other than the Ubuntu installer wiping out all the data on my drives (all 5.25TB worth :( ) it went fine....

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:53 am

Not that it helps, but sorry to hear. Can you give us any specifics on what happened? I presume you unplugged the drives initially when you installed Amahi.

I have stood up an Ubuntu HDA and currently using it in my network as my sole server. I have not added my Fedora 14 Greyhole drives, but did add a new drive to test Greyhole. I hope I do not have the same experience when I do add them.

I would like to see if we can either modify instructions or find a way to prevent data loss. Not sure if that will help, but we need to ensure this does not happen again if possible. From what I understand about Greyhole, adding the drives back and running fsck is supposed to restore the data in shares, not remove it. This could be a bug with Ubuntu.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

smccloud

Postby smccloud » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:02 am

Not that it helps, but sorry to hear. Can you give us any specifics on what happened? I presume you unplugged the drives initially when you installed Amahi.

I have stood up an Ubuntu HDA and currently using it in my network as my sole server. I have not added my Fedora 14 Greyhole drives, but did add a new drive to test Greyhole. I hope I do not have the same experience when I do add them.

I would like to see if we can either modify instructions or find a way to prevent data loss. Not sure if that will help, but we need to ensure this does not happen again if possible. From what I understand about Greyhole, adding the drives back and running fsck is supposed to restore the data in shares, not remove it. This could be a bug with Ubuntu.
Actually, I did it the same way I did in Fedora. Gave them the correct mount points in setup (i.e. /dev/sdb1 = /var/hda/files, /dev/sd{c..i}1 = /var/hda/files/drives/drive{1..5}) and it erased them during setup even though it said it wouldn't.

Other than that and VNC not working its been smooth sailing for me so far. Thankfully the wife didn't kill me over it.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:54 am

So did you have the drives mounted when you installed Amahi?

As for VNC, the app is not fixed yet. You could probably follow a tutorial via google (http://tinyurl.com/74vsdvc). I believe cpg has it on his to do list.

OpenVPN is an app now and it works good, at least for me. Same with SSH, there is OpenSSH and Dropbear as choices to fill that need.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

smccloud

Postby smccloud » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:03 am

So did you have the drives mounted when you installed Amahi?

As for VNC, the app is not fixed yet. You could probably follow a tutorial via google (http://tinyurl.com/74vsdvc). I believe cpg has it on his to do list.

OpenVPN is an app now and it works good, at least for me. Same with SSH, there is OpenSSH and Dropbear as choices to fill that need.
Yep, but by that time they had already been wiped out. The Ubuntu installer did that for me. I'm thinking the reason my Amahi Control Panel isn't showing OpenVPN working is because my connection went down when I decided to do a source code pull for an Android ROM. But I do have OpenVPN & IPSecVPN installed.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:11 am

That stinks, but does not surprise me. I learned that a while back with extra drives. Since then, I disconnect all drives but the OS one when doing an install.

I did not know IPSecVPN app was working. Last I heard, it still needed to be worked on for Ubuntu.

Maybe you could help us with documenting the Ubuntu install. Something like going from Amahi Fedora 14 to Ubuntu with Greyhole. Would be good to capture the do's and don'ts for others.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager