Running VMs on HDA box

KazarSoze

Running VMs on HDA box

Postby KazarSoze » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:29 pm

All,

Didn't find anything related to this in this forum and I'm not sure if this is possible or even suggested, but here it goes...

I'm currently have Amahi 8 happily running Plex and storing my music & pics on a box of hand-me-down parts (i3-2100, 4gb RAM, 3 HDs) but want to spin up some VMs to play around with other servers/OS and such. I was wondering if I could build a more powerful rig (i7, 32gb RAM, etc.) to run Amahi full time but also host some VMs. I know Amahi itself doesn't need much memory or compute power so I can't see any problem with it hosting a couple VMs at the same time. I really don't want to build another box just to host some VMs when I can have one machine to do everything. I have seen how numerous people are running their HDA in a VM but not the other direction (unless I missed it).

Is there any issues running VirtualBox (or maybe VMware) on my HDA? I was planning on having a separate HD not used by Amahi to hold all the VMs. Is there any considerations or planning needed to make this work?

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Running VMs on HDA box

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:39 am

Didn't find anything related to this in this forum and I'm not sure if this is possible or even suggested, but here it goes...
Our primary source of documentation and how to's is the Amahi Wiki.

See Amahi virtualized in the wiki for details.

I am currently running a VM server for Amahi and other VMs using Proxmox (without a paid subscription). It works quite well for me.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

KazarSoze

Postby KazarSoze » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Read the Wiki pages, finally getting around to doing this... One question: Are those instructions still valid? I'm running Amahi 8 (Fedora 21) and the wiki is for getting VBox 3.2 running on a Fedora 12 host. Would those instructions still work given the current version of VBox and Fedora being used? I can work on rebuilding to Amahi 9 (Fedora 23) as VirtualBox has a supported rpm for Fedora 22/23 if that is more stable.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Would those instructions still work given the current version of VBox and Fedora being used?
Should work for the most part. There may be some minor differences.

If you would like to update the wiki, we would greatly appreciate it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2