RAM usage, network slow-down

sfgueller

RAM usage, network slow-down

Postby sfgueller » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello,

I don't know if this problem is directly related to virtualization or not. What I have is a Dell Poweredge 2950 II running an up to date version of Xenserver 6.5. Within Xenserver, I am running Amahi on Fedora 21, and two copies of Ubuntu (Minecraft LAN servers). The problem that I have noticed lately is when I restart Amahi, it uses less than 1GB of RAM. After just a couple days (less than a week) it is using all 4GB that I have allotted to it. When it hits 4GB, my network noticeably slows down. I'm not saying between Amahi and other computers, I mean to the outside internet. If I had to guess, I would say it is probably a 30-40% reduction in speed. Rebooting Amahi solves the problem (about 10 minutes after the restart, everything seems normal). I am wondering if something might be wrong that it is using so much RAM. I can give it more, but for what it is doing (basically just network stuff and a file server) 4GB should be plenty. Would giving it more RAM help with the network slowdown? Yes, I know that when a system is running most efficiently, it SHOULD be using all available resources....but it shouldn't hinder my network. Xenserver virtualizes the network interface, but Amahi is the only OS linked to that particular port. Any suggestions? By the way, I don't keep the Minecraft servers running unless we are using them, and this happens whether or not they are running.

sgtfoo

Re: RAM usage, network slow-down

Postby sgtfoo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:50 am

how are you providing network to the Amahi VM? what virt method? what drivers? is the XenServer up to date?
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch