My Proxmox Install

sgtfoo

Re: My Proxmox Install

Postby sgtfoo » Thu May 03, 2012 7:20 am

The key attraction to virtualizing for me is to put all my servers on 1 physical host.
That's why I'm all for the storage feedback.

It means figuring out which drives take OSs and which drives are allocated for storage, and how much I/O limitations might hinder me.

I will gladly post my setup with Proxmox when I manage to get all my data onto a single drive and rebuild my tower with 8 cores, and 32GB RAM
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Fri May 04, 2012 12:01 pm

i am kind of on the fence on this as far as Virtualized vs not.

With Amahi, the factors in my mind are reliability, physical diversity and ease of recovery.

I think the first two are simple to recover in a Proxmox deployment but not sure of the last.

The more complex you make the storage, the more complicated recovery gets.

I am trying to find a happy medium. Maximize the features of proxmox and virtualization, while ensuring if i have a major outage, i can get to my data with little pain.

This is really what has been driving my tinkering. Storage.......storage makes or breaks this for me.

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Fri May 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Seems like an external NAS box or RAID box might be the best bet for recovering data easily.

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Fri May 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Seems like an external NAS box or RAID box might be the best bet for recovering data easily.
i am leaning towards a NFS share within Proxmox to a openfiler or FreeNAS box as one of my greyhole drives. making sure it is big enough for one copy of all my items

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Tue May 29, 2012 9:54 pm

Just an update on my tinkering.

I actually had to revert one of the Proxmox boxes back to ESXi. As a Cisco Unified Communications Engineer, i am installing the latest UC beta software and it is only supported on VMWare.

I did have some success with Openfiler but my "production" design for Proxmox and Amahi will be using direct drive access for Amahi. I will do this by using a virtual disk nearly the same size as the physicals with .raw format.

This will allow me to accomplish my basic requirements around recoverability.

I will say i am leaning towards building an Ubuntu Amahi but havent made that decision yet. plenty of paid work to keep me busy enough where i dont have to make that decision yet.

I am wondering as to the maturity of Ubuntu but will not ask too much here since there are forum topics on the subject already.