Is pogoplug a viable route?

rgmhtt

Is pogoplug a viable route?

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Hello,

I have been gone from here for around a year. Been doing IEEE 802 and IETF (and Verizon) work...

But it is getting time to rebuild/upgrade, etc. I have two boxes here running basically unattended and up for over 1/2 a year since last reboot! But I don't want to upgrade in place so am looking for some new platforms. My home server is not in need of high performance and a friend pointed my that pogoplug is dumping old hardware before the newer, less functional (fewer USB ports) comes out.

So I remembered about the plug effort here and did a bit of reading and see it is basically finished for what is there and might be a long time until new work (Amahi FC16 comes first). Is this correct?

Then I looked around on eBay and found some itx systems that I can upgrade to 1Gb memory for close to the same price and will take about the same cost as the pogoplug. Sound about right?

Meanwhile if there is any forward effort for a small platform, I recommend you get some Raspberry Pi systems (though unless you got one during those few hours before they sold out today!) it will be a while until there are new ones. If I read aright, the base distro for this is Fedora, so it would be compiling for this platform.

rgmhtt

Re: Is pogoplug a viable route?

Postby rgmhtt » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:44 am

Since I need a new system to get back in the groove, I did some shopping on ebay and found a nice looking mini-itx:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P4M-SFF-Small-F ... 5ae55f4299

I have memory here to upgrade it to 1Gb. It is very similar to what I am running right now for my main server.

For anyone interested in something like this, here is its cousin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P4M-SFF-Small-F ... 5ae55f4299

I should be getting mine monday, I will let you all know what its insides look like.