Limitation of the plug in terms of applications

ppmt

Limitation of the plug in terms of applications

Postby ppmt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Hello,

I am not sure where to put this message but as it concerns plug computer I will put it here. It can be moved if necessary (or deleted if preferred)

Following a discussion on the IRC with cburner and bigfoot it appears that Fedora support for ARM is rather limited
for the time being. It is apparently quite new for them so that might explain it.

Because of that lots of applications will not work when you use Amahi on a plug.
This has nothing to with Amahi which itself work very well on my guruplug.

Debian on the other hand does support ARM processor to very high degree and on the face of it would seem like a good idea to use it for the Amahi plug version.

Now I realise that doing this is not an easy task (well I guess not) but it can't be impossible either :)

So here I am with my guruplug which works well but lacks applications.

Now I am probably naive but I was wondering if I couldn't use it to help in "porting" Amahi to Debian?

So what do the dev think? is it worth spending some time or is it just diverting too much resources and wasting people's time?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Limitation of the plug in terms of applications

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:06 pm

This is a great idea, however we need someone who can dedicate the time to porting to Ubuntu. Keeping in mind, we have someone working to port Amahi to Ubuntu, but progress has been slow. Maybe the same person can work the plug too.

We are such a small all volunteer team, so diverting resources we do not have is not practical. We have our plates full at the moment with movement to Fedora 13 and maintenance of the current Fedora 12 infrastructure.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to get Amahi going on Ubuntu for both platforms too. All I am saying is we need someone new with development experience to jump in and take this project on. In my opinion, our current team is already overwhelmed with the current tasks. This is one which may have to wait unless we get any volunteers.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ppmt

Re: Limitation of the plug in terms of applications

Postby ppmt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:54 pm

I understand your concern and do share them....

Actually I am not sure that going the Ubuntu way is the right way. Canonical has made it clear they will stop supporting eventually ARMv5.

Going the Debian way would be better. But then again I am not sure of the implications.

As I say I understand and with some luck Fedora13 will support ARM even more thatn Fedora12 :)