Kernel for Guruplug

ppmt

Kernel for Guruplug

Postby ppmt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:26 am

So I will be the first (ok second) to post in this newly created forum

This is really to start a conversation with Obibou who compiled a specific kernel for the plug

Hopefully this will allow us to access the ins and out of the guruplug like wifi, sd card and internal ram and who knows bluetooth

With cpg I tried to replace the ubot and install the modules but when I rebooted the plug it fails

here is 1 printout I got:

http://pastebin.ca/1924019

I don't rule out a mistake on my side but I would like to know what I did wrong :)

obconseil

Re: Kernel for Guruplug

Postby obconseil » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:57 am

The problem come from the fact that devices in linux are named in order of their detection.
First is sda, then sdb, ...

On the previous version, the kernel included only the SATA and the USB drivers.

In 2.6.35.2, the "sdcard" driver has been added within the kernel.

As a consequence, and since the SDCard driver is detected before the USB key, the USB Key became
"sdc" in your configuration.

A quick solution is to replace in your 'x_bootargs_root' the keyword "sdb1" by "sdc1".
saveenv, and then reboot.

But the problem is that, it depends in fact on the kind of storage plugged at boot time:
If you remove the sd-card , or add a SATA disk, thing changes.

Since the current u-boot can only boot from a USB key or a NAND flash, I propose to rebuild a kernel with the E-SATA & SD-card driver as modules:
By doing so, the boot-time detection will no take them into account, thus the root device will stay "sdb1".
Only after boot the E-SATA & SD will be detected as usual.

If's that's ok with you I can do that quickly.

(It turns out that other solution I tried , like using uuid or "by-path" devices would not work")

obinou

ppmt

Postby ppmt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:11 pm

HI Obinou,

I am willing to test whatever you throw at me

Since you helped me upgrading my uboot and explain me the printenv parameter I can now switch between booting
from usb or nand

that mean I can easily change the USB uImage.

I will also try to change the sdb1 to sdc1

I had actually tried to boot without the sd card inserted and it failed the same if I remember well...

ppmt

Postby ppmt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:12 pm

Hello

So I managed to boot into both kernel...the first one and the latest one

I have now my setenv parameter pointing to sdc1 rather than sdb1 and it works fine

For the latest kernel I put below the full boot printout. YOu will notice the warning at the end of the
printout....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/229449/kernel_guruplug.log

Now I need to work out how to mount the sd card and the internal NAND ( if at all possible for the later)