Printer sharing on Windows 7

cpg
Administrator

Re: Printer sharing on Windows 7

Postby cpg » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:18 pm

great. these things are good tips. i added it to the networked printer wiki page wiki.

generally we'd like to encourage you guys to do it, so that the core team focuses on the development of the new version of Amahi.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

lalpert

Postby lalpert » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:54 pm

net use LPT2: \\servername\printer

worked for me although it took me a little while realize I had to type in

net use LPT2: \\hda\Samsung_ML-2510

to match my situation.

DaMerc91

Postby DaMerc91 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:55 am

Hi again,

Thanks for the replies and the advice, but the Net Use command doesn't seem to work on my computer :?

When I execute it with the command prompt (and i ran it as administrator) it gives me constantly "System Error 85, local device name already in use"

There isn't any physical nor virtual LPT port installed on my laptop when i look in the device manager, and there is no network connection established on this port, so I have no idea why the LPT port could be already in use. Tried the network command "net use LPT2 /D" but it gives me the same notification: "Network connection could not be found"

I do believe that this is the right solution for my problem, if I only could deactivate the LPT2 port from whatever he's doing.

Thx a lot for the help already, and hopefully this will end up in a final solution for me ^^

grtz!
DaMerc91
Qui vit d'espoir meurt de désir

lalpert

Postby lalpert » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:30 am

I just added a second printer to my Amahi box.
I knew I needed to add another LPT port since LPT2 was already taken.
I was following the instruction under Windows Server 2003 to add another LPT port using regedit and I found I already had it.

So, I did the command line isntruction using LPT3. It was successful. I enountered a lot of error messages setting up the printer but it still worked despite error messages to the contrary.