file sharing app??

lou1z

file sharing app??

Postby lou1z » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:09 am

not sure if there's one about but it would be a nice app that would allow users to view the shares on their network pc's.
i have got some fairly big hard drives intalled on my desktop pc's (then again, most people have these days)
now the basis of amahi is to put all your files, docs etc on amahi so they can be shared etc. but sometimes you may want to utilise the unused space on a desktop pc. perhaps for backups etc?
any easy to use app would be a good addition here i think rather than having to mount via the command line.

cpg
Administrator

Re: file sharing app??

Postby cpg » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:54 am

there are several

- ajaxPlorer
- phpNavigator
- encode Explorer (in alpha still)

i think i am missing one or two actually!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:58 am

there is also FileBrowser (also in alpha) ...
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:51 pm

not sure whether i made myself clear or maybe i am misunderstanding what you have suggested.
lets say i have amahi with 500gb of storage. i also have a couple of desktop pc's with 500gb of storage each on them.
i use amahi to share files etc (and am aware that ajaxplorer etc shows these files via php) but i want to use the free space on desktop A to backup amahi itself.
sort of a show me network neighbourhood or all available network shares on all pc's??
suppose i'm asking for a gui for a samba client on amahi or allow amahi share config page to mount smb shares on other pc's.

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:15 am

just looking around and there is something called fusesmb which mounts all windows shares to a single mountpoint. not entirely what i'm after so a bit more digging to be done. but, you get the idea where if these shares were mounted, some sort of app that would list them via php or better still, allow you list and then mount a selection of them.
info about it here:
http://mcchattersky.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... howto.html

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:22 am

Oh, I see, making it the nexus of all the shares in every pc in the network ...

Yeah, an interesting idea! I like it!

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:14 am

that's it.....
loading everything onto amahi is sort of putting your eggs in one basket albeit we can use raid etc.
but (as with all servers), it simply must be backed up for piece of mind. usb drives etc can obviously be used but generally there is untapped space on users desktops with fixed hard drives.
once a week or so, a compressed backup of amahi (from amahi) could be run into this space.
amahi breaks down? no probs, the data is on the desktop. run it back in.
the desktop breaks down, just run another backup from amahi into it.
piece of mind with no outlay!

and that's just one use. i'm sure we could think of more!

Brimfulof

Postby Brimfulof » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:35 am

Excellent idea. I used to back up our Win2003 server to unused client HDDs in the charity I worked for (we used Retrospect). Obviously you could do something like this with Clonezilla, but it wouldn't be automated and you'd have to power down the server. Having something that could be schedules would be really great.