SOLVED: Can't see shares in Windows Explorer

annasoh323

SOLVED: Can't see shares in Windows Explorer

Postby annasoh323 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:44 am

This isn't my only problem, unfortunately, but it's the most pressing: I was once able to access my hda files from my Windows Explorer. Logged in fine using hda admin account and password. I loaded some old files in and thought I was good. Well, a few months later and it's time for a file dump. I cannot now get into the hda folders. I appear to be able to get into some part of the hda: I can see the various directories like Videos, Music etc. When I use my browser to see the hda page via the hda IP, the directories are there and it says it has GB of storage used. I can also use putty to log into the hda and I can (clumsily, since I'm not great at linux navigation) see the files stored there. It's Windows Explorer that's not going. It says "Windows cannot access \\hda\Videos." Oddly, I can open the admin directory and see the bash files.

I thought it might be a router thing (DD-WRT and I've never quite been able to get my apps to work and I permanently have the "HDA isn't being used for DNS" message even though I'm pretty sure DHCP is working... But that's probably a side-issue). Any thoughts? I believe I'm running the latest version of Windows too.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Can't see shares in Windows Explorer

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:30 am

Take a look at the Shares Troubleshooting page in the wiki.

Might be a solution there.

If Amahi is not used for DNS, should be able to access by IP Address (i.e. \\192.168.x.x\videos).
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

annasoh323

Postby annasoh323 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:43 am

Thanks for the link bigfoot. Unfortunately, it appears I've made things worse... I tried following the section called "Troubleshooting Permissions: Windows Client (including Vista)" in the command line. Previously, I'd be able to at least get to the list of directories (e.g. "Videos," "Images," etc) by typing either "hda" or the IP. Now, I can't even get that far. I'm getting a "Windows cannot access \\<IP>" message. I can still use my browser to get to my HDA settings using the IP. I can also SSH using putty. I won't have time to look at this again for at least a day but I appreciate the help so far. I don't think I changed anything in my router settings (using DD-WRT, if I didn't mention). I'm not sure how deep this rabbit hole goes (and definitely didn't know how much I'd be getting myself into when I started down this path).

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:17 pm

Can you undo what you did for the Windows command line?

Also, do you experience this problem on any other clients?

That might provide a clue as to what the problem could be.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

annasoh323

Postby annasoh323 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:59 am

Long story short: it seems the Greyhole shares are working again, though I'm not exactly sure why. Will try to confirm and work on DNS next.

Long story: I don't recall whether the last thing I had done in Windows command line was to do the fix or the reversal (I think it was the reversal). I was putzing around the Amahi web interface setup, I clicked on the "new folder" (or similar) button. I called it "test." I refreshed the Windows Explorer at IP. To my surprise, "test" appeared. I then tried writing files to it and it started working.

I left it to transfer files. The next day, I noted it had filled up (I have a ~256GB SSD as the landing zone and two 6TB HDDs as the Greyhole share). I left for work and tried to restart the file transfer from client to Amahi SSD. It still didn't go. That led me to believe that Greyhole wasn't transferring files from the landing zone to the share drives. I checked the Shares status and noticed it said Greyhole was offline. I ran fsck and it appeared to start transferring files. I then tried to click on my original Videos share and it opened in the client Windows Explorer. I'm guessing that Greyhole just needed a kick to get going?

I left it to do its thing while I'm at work. I'll check to see if the landing zone transferred to the HDDs first thing when I get home. Then, if I still have access to all the shares at that point, I'll try to transfer files from the "test" directory to their proper places elsewhere on the shared drive. Hopefully, this is it. This is the main thing I need out of the HDA since my computer storage space got all filled up by a photo and video blitz during Christmas. I'll work on the DNS thing later... separate thread probably.

Pending confirmation of proper operation of Greyhole, this can be marked resolved.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:51 pm

Never thought to ask if you had Greyhole installed.

Glad you figured it out. Will have to remember this for the next time.

Guessing the root drive was almost full due to Greyhole being stopped.

Look forward to hearing if this solved your issue.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

annasoh323

Postby annasoh323 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:53 pm

My apologies: I thought I had closed the loop on this but I forgot after trying to run some additional testing. My connection to my files has been stable with no interruptions. Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:56 pm

No worries. Thanks for reporting back.

Will mark as resolved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager