Locating files on an old Amahi installation

Greyoregano

Locating files on an old Amahi installation

Postby Greyoregano » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:36 am

Hello all,
Here is the tl;dr I cannot find pictures/music/videos on an old Amahi installation.

Last year the computer that ran my Amahi server was fried during an electrical outage. Diagnosed it as a motherboard/cpu issue and not having the right combination of time and money, I left it as is until recently.

Yesterday, I reinstalled Amahi on a different HDD and afterwards plugged in the old HDD(s) and had no luck discovering/mounting them, so to troubleshoot, I installed a live version of Fedora 32. This time, I was able to discover and explore the old HDD(s), and all the file structures are there, but the individual pictures, videos and music I could not find.

Does anyone have any ideas, advice or experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Greyoregano

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Locating files on an old Amahi installation

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:07 pm

If you had a single drive system, loo in /var/hda/files for your share folders.

LIkely that is where you files reside.

Hopefully the drive did not get damaged or the files might be lost.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Greyoregano

Postby Greyoregano » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:52 pm

Hey Bigfoot65,

Thank you for the response. I have checked that location and there is only 1 photo (where there should be hundreds). To add, no it’s not a single drive (2 x 1TB and 1 x 500GB).

The whole thing is very odd. Like I said earlier, from what little experience I have poking around in Linux, it seems like the whole file system is there.

If there are no other ideas, I might have to resign myself to either give up on all those photo’s or bring in hired gun to see if they can retrieve them. Either way, thanks again, you are always a great source of information

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:56 pm

Were you using Greyhole?

If so, look on the drives that were Greyhole enabled. There you should find all your shares in the gh folder.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Greyoregano

Postby Greyoregano » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:40 pm

Hey Bigfoot,

That’s what I was hoping to hear! Yes, I was using Greyhole, and the drive is reading 2.8TB out of 2.9TB free, but when I explore it, including the gh folder, there are no files.

I will be digging into this deeper this weekend as I have a few days off (Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:04 pm

Let us know how it goes.

The files have to be on the drive somewhere.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager