Another Windows Share Access Problem

cmahlmann

Another Windows Share Access Problem

Postby cmahlmann » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:11 pm

I'm new to Amahi and I've installed version 11 and I cannot access the shares on the server from my Windows 10 computer. I can log in to //hda via my web browser no problem. When I go into file browser my HDA is not listed as one of the available computers but when I enter \\hda in the command bar it gives me a list of the shared folders on the HDA. When I click on a folder to open it I get a popup requesting network credentials and I cannot get it to accept any network credentials. All of the shared folders on the HDA set to "All Users" and both the windows 10 client and the HDA are using the same workgroup.

I have tried:
1.) The HDA administrator username and password = Failed with error "The user name or password is incorrect"
2.) Creating a new user on the HDA and logging in with that username and password = Failed with error "The user name or password is incorrect"
3.) Logging in with "WORKGROUP"/USERNAME for both the admin and new user accounts = Failed with error "The user name or password is incorrect"
4.) Tried everything outlined here https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Shares_troubleshooting with no luck.
5.) Restarted the SMB service on the HDA and insured it was running.
6.) Updated Fedora.
7.) I haven't yet tried a reinstall.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. I'm still bit of a Linux novice and I don't know how to go about troubleshooting SMB further. Since I'm still trying things out I'm perfectly happy to do a wipe and reload of the HDA.

Thanks!

P.S. It occurred to me after I wrote this to boot up an old Windows 7 virtual machine I have. It also can't see the HDA in the file browser but it can connect to it via \\"IP ADDRESS" and it accepts the admin username and password and allows me to login.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Another Windows Share Access Problem

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:31 pm

Are you using the HDA for your DHCP/DNS server?

If not, then you must access shares via \\IP Address.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cmahlmann

Postby cmahlmann » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:33 pm

Yes, I have the HDA setup as DHCP/DNS server. On Win 10 I can access them via \\HDA and \\IPAddress. I just forgot to try \\HDA on the Win7 machine.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:21 pm

Have you tried removing the credentials on Windows?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cmahlmann

Postby cmahlmann » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:02 pm

Yes, I don't have any credentials related to the HDA stored in the Credentials Manager.

I've done some more troubleshooting and I am able to access and login to the HDA shares from a different windows 10 machine but It also cannot see the HDA under Network.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:21 am

I've done some more troubleshooting and I am able to access and login to the HDA shares from a different windows 10 machine but It also cannot see the HDA under Network.
I believe that may be a Windows issue. I don't see it under network for mine, but then don't need to see it.

I made a shortcut to \\hda in my Windows Explorer. I have also mapped the shares I use most as Network Drives.

The main thing is that you can add/delete from shares.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager