SMB changes in Amahi 10?

rdagijones

SMB changes in Amahi 10?

Postby rdagijones » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Let me start with, I love Amahi. I have had an office faithfully using Amahi 7 with little to no issues. They have had no complaints. Good work.

It is time, however, and I upgraded the aforementioned office to Amahi 10. We are having some struggles with SMB scanning from a Ricoh copier to a network share on Amahi. On the Amahi 7 setup everything worked flawlessly. All of the settings on the Amahi 10 install are identical except the password. It turns out that somewhere along the way, Amahi requires longer passwords, so I gave the user for the copier a new, longer password. Every time we try to scan we get an "authentication error."

Here is what I have done to troubleshoot:
  • I have triple-checked the password.
  • I have completely recreated the user on both the copier and on Amahi's end and still have the same issue.
  • I have successfully logged into Amahi dashboard as the user assigned to the copier that performs the scans.
  • I have, on a Windows 10 computer, successfully logged a shared folder as the user assigned to the copier that performs the scans.
  • I have used a completely different username and password in the copier. This username and password are one successfully used by a Windows 10 computer in the office.
None of the listed steps have solved the problem.

Some behaviors that I have noticed on this Amahi 10 install are a little strange and it is possible that they relate to my problem. When I attempt, from the Amahi Dashboard, to change an existing user's password, there is a very quick flash of red text that appears on the dashboard and then that text goes away. Its up and gone too fast for me to read it. The password change is unsuccessful. If, for example, I create a user called "Fred" and assign a password of "Pass1234", I can access all assigned SMB shares for Fred without issue. If I change Fred's password on the Amahi Dashboard to "Word1234", the flash of warning text comes up. If I go into Window's credential manager and erase the password for "HDA" and "\\192.168.x.x" (the Amahi's IP) and then try to access the shares again, Windows asks for the password. If I enter the new password("Word1234"), access is unsuccessful. If I enter the old password ("Pass1234") I can get in. To change a user's password I have to delete the user and recreate it with the new password. Then the new password for that user works correctly.

Questions:
-Is there a log file for the Amahi Dashboard that I can read to see the flash of text that appears on the Dashboard when I attempt to change a user's password?
-Has SMB protocol changed lately in a way that may be related to my issue?

Specifications:
Fedora 25
Amahi 10

ghrasko

Re: SMB changes in Amahi 10?

Postby ghrasko » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:56 am

Hi,

I have just upgraded from Amahi 8 to 10. Already on Amahi 8 I could not fully change the user passwords without recreating the user. I hoped this bug had gone, but it seems, not. The user should use its new password to log in to the dashboard (it means password had been changed in Fedora), but should use the old one in Windows to use the Samba shares (the password change is not distributed to Samba).

Gábor

ghrasko

Postby ghrasko » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:03 am

I think this is the same bug: viewtopic.php?t=6375

It seems, this is not yet solved: https://bugs.amahi.org/issues/1925

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:42 am

Hi guys, from the reports and what you have researched, my "gut feeling" is that there is a bug here. Many times that's not the case, even though it may seem like that to other.

Now, unfortunately, it's hard to tell if there is just one or perhaps more than one, or some combination of bugs.

Maybe there is one in the dashboard. That fleeting message is in red, but it says "Password changed successfully" (and yeah, it should not be red!), so it's safe.

Unfortunately, I moved to the new Amahi 11 beta on Fedora 27 and I cannot reproduce it in a quick test (also, I don't use Windows).

At some point I think the passwords were *limited* in size, but having a *minimum* of 8 seems a little overkill.

In all truth, this hurts, because there are few things more frustrating than spurious and weird auth errors. We're in the midst of a number of things, including a new batch of summer interns and their proposals, including Amahi 11, so time is a little limited and I would have to go back to some VM or something.

Alternatively, if anyone would let me debug remotely through TeamViewer or something, it would help. Maybe come to IRC, possibly on a weekend, it would help. Sorry for not being more proactive on this at the moment.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

ghrasko

Postby ghrasko » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:28 am

Alternatively, if anyone would let me debug remotely through TeamViewer or something, it would help. Maybe come to IRC, possibly on a weekend, it would help. Sorry for not being more proactive on this at the moment.
Hi,

this is a frustrating problem, but I can imagine that you have more serious tasks to do. However if you have time, I would be happy to assist during the weekend, letting you to check my system remotely or otherwise.

Gábor

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:55 am

That would help. If you could email your availability window to support at amahi (or if you come by IRC mention cpg -- http://talk.amahi.org) and hopefully we can find a window to debug this. Saturday afternoon (Pacific US time) may be best for me.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:12 pm

Quick note -- last weekend someone ha an issue with shares that was reminiscent of this.

We could not get to the bottom of it using TeamViewer and such, however, it was clear that Windows 10 may be at issue here (possibly with some bug in our side -- not ruling that out), because small changes in settings resulted in substantially different errors.

Most notably, the "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" service was not enabled by default. That was suspect and we were led to this service through one of the error codes thrown when trying to access shares. You can see how to enable or disable this service.

I wonder if you guys had this service up and running.