SOLVED: Cannot transfer larger files to shares

ksburgess

SOLVED: Cannot transfer larger files to shares

Postby ksburgess » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:34 am

I'm having an issue with file transfers from Windows computers to our HDA. We can see and navigate the shares just fine, and open files from them with no issue.

I can copy some smaller files to the HDA - for example, text files, small Word documents, and Excel spreadsheets.

If I try to copy a large PDF, audio, or video file, however, the transfer fails. Windows Explorer gives me Error 0x8007003B: An unexpected network error occurred. Terracopy gives the status error "An unexpected network error occurred."

The strange thing is, my laptop can transfer these larger files to the HDA just fine. All machines (our two desktops and my laptop) are all running Windows 10. Notable differences are that the desktops are a wired connection, the laptop is wireless. The laptop is also running a newer Win10 build because I have it running on Insider builds.

Also, if I copy files locally (from my user on the HDA's home directory to the shares), it works with no problem. I have also had Crashplan run a restore directly to the shares and that seems to work with no problem.

This problem started happening when one of our pool drives began failing. I replaced and removed that drive, but this problem persists. I'm not sure if there's something I missed related to placing the new drive?

It seems odd that it would be a problem on the Windows computers' side since they worked fine before... but I haven't been able to find anything searching troubleshooting from the Windows or Amahi side.

One further detail - we have one share that's not in the Greyhole pool for files we're actively working with. Transfers to this share fail just as the transfers into the Greyhole shares.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Cannot transfer larger files to shares

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Sounds like it could be a network cabling issue.

When you replaced the Greyhole drive, did you run the appropriate commands? They are outlined in the wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:19 am

Sorry for my delay in reply - life intervened :/

Anyways, thought I may have solved this with a Windows update, but whatever fixed was only temporary and I'm now back to the problem.

I'm thinking it's NOT a network cable issue as the two desktops have no problems with anything else (surfing the internet, uploading files, online gaming, streaming, Homegroup sharing, or browsing shares & opening files on shares).

I think I did all the correct steps for Greyhole but I may have missed something. The only thing I can see is that when I execute this command:

Code: Select all

mysql -u root -phda -e "select * from disk_pool_partitions" hda_production
It does still list the removed drive. Maybe that's causing a hangup somewhere? In my Amahi dashboard, that drive doesn't show in the drive pool, so I don't think I can fix that listing from the GUI side.

Any further ideas or direction would be appreciated. Really need to write to the HDA from the desktop as that's my primary workstation :(

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:37 am

It does still list the removed drive. Maybe that's causing a hangup somewhere?
That might help.

Also check /etc/greyhole.conf to see if the drive is listed there.

Are you using the greyhole-ui App?

Also might want to do:

Code: Select all

df -h
There needs to be sufficient space left in the LZ for you to write large files.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:22 am

Also check /etc/greyhole.conf to see if the drive is listed there.
It is still listed in the greyhole.conf file - is there a way to get it removed from that file?
Are you using the greyhole-ui App?
I am using the UI app - when I look at the shares list on my dashboard, the removed drive is NOT listed

The drive with Amahi installed and the LZ shows as a 289gb drive with 214gb free (74%), which seems like plenty for the LZ even for really big files...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:59 am

It is still listed in the greyhole.conf file - is there a way to get it removed from that file?
Is it checked in the greyhole-ui App? If not, you might need to remove the line manually, then restart Greyhole.

Not sure what else your issue could be. Seems odd that the drive is listed in the file, but not reflected in the Dashboard.

Hopefully removing it from the file will fix your issue.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:48 am

As I noted, the drive I removed does NOT show up in the Greyhole UI on my dashboard.

Can I simply manually delete that line from the greyhole.conf file, then restart Greyhole?

I'm increasingly suspecting this problem is on the Windows computer side, but would like to clean up that drive listing anyhow.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 pm

As I noted, the drive I removed does NOT show up in the Greyhole UI on my dashboard.
I know you mentioned this, but wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing in the greyhole-ui App. You mention looking at the shares, but that is not where the drives are listed for the Storage Pool.
Can I simply manually delete that line from the greyhole.conf file, then restart Greyhole?
I thought I said that in the previous post LOL

The app builds that file automatically. As long as the drive is removed from the database and file, you should be ok.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:07 pm

Okay, this is what I'm thinking is the UI: https://www.screencast.com/t/ejqT4O4geUS

I double-checked about the greyhole.conf since it has dire warnings at the top about manually editing. I feel pretty comfortable in a terminal but things like that do give me pause about mucking around in configuration files ;)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Yep that's it.

Editing the file won't cause any issues. Should fix the issue since you removed it from the db too.

If you didn't remove it from the Greyhole database, then do so.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager