tomtheappraiser

CLOSED: Mounting Shares Locally

Postby tomtheappraiser » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:37 pm

I am trying to install the mount shares locally. Following the wiki I got to

Code: Select all

chmod +x /etc/init.d/mount_shares_locally
and it came back with:

Code: Select all

chmod: cannot access ‘/etc/init.d/mount_shares_locally’: No such file or directory

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Mounting Shares Locally

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:10 pm

You might have missed a step. I have followed the tutorial and works fine.

If you are doing copy and paste then you might want to type it in.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Epedrego

Postby Epedrego » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Tom - Obvious question... did you do this as root?

I'm pretty new to this and don't have a clear understanding to what mounting shares locally really means. I assumed that shares are by default mounted locally, but, if not, what is the alternative? Does this have more to do with Fedora/linux than Amahi? I read the wiki(https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally) and I can tell that they are path to access files on the server without directly using the server file system, but not clear what other methods can be used to mount shares.

Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:52 pm

The tutorial states to do as root user.

This is only used if you have implemented Greyhole.

Shares are mounted by default and no action is needed.

Not sure what you are asking on trying to do.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Epedrego

Postby Epedrego » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Just asking if Tom remembered to run it as root is all.

I'm not trying to do anything in particular. Just tying to build up a good background of understand about Amahi in general. Locally mounting shares was confusing, but from your answer it seems greyhole changes the default mounting of shares when installed.

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Locally mounting shares was confusing, but from your answer it seems greyhole changes the default mounting of shares when installed.
Not quite.

Greyhole uses Samba in order to replicate files and do it's work. Most use a Linux or Windows client to access/modify files on the HDA. Samba is how files/folders (shares) are accessible outside the server. This is transparent to the user.

However when working directly on the server with files (command line or web app), it's not going through Samba. In order to make it work the same as if using a client external to the HDA, the mount_local_shares is used by Greyhole. It's not needed otherwise.
Just tying to build up a good background of understand about Amahi in general.
Best way is to play around with it. Also keep in mind that Amahi is just a framework integrated with Linux. So most of the functionality is already part of the OS (basically a LAMP server). We provide a web UI for those features making it easy for the average user plus one-click web apps.

This thread will be marked closed since there is no activity in almost 2 months. If you have questions or issues, please start a new topic.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Epedrego

Re: CLOSED: Mounting Shares Locally

Postby Epedrego » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:34 am

This makes so much sense now. Thank you!!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: CLOSED: Mounting Shares Locally

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:31 pm

No problem.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager