Questions about adding a 2nd drive and share/partition modification

patwa

Questions about adding a 2nd drive and share/partition modification

Postby patwa » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:30 am

Hello,

I have been using Amahi for a couple of years with only one HDD. I have now added a 2nd USB drive for extra space and had a few questions for which I couldn't find straight answers on the forum:

1. Should i move all the files in the current HDD to the new drive? What is the best way to do this, move in linux or via the network share?
2. Once the old HDD is free from personal files, should i be resizing the partitions or leave the root at max value (total HDD space is about 250 gb)
3. Reason for question 2 is due to the possibility of adding a 3rd drive and enabling greyhole. Would I need such a large root partition if the other HDD's were 4TB each? Or can i create an additional partition to host some personal files on the original HDD that has the OS on it?
4. Is there a recommended procedure to rename the share folder in Linux? Can i just to an "mv" or do i disable some services before doing that? I assume that the HDA dashboard path will also require modification after the folder name change?

Thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Questions about adding a 2nd drive and share/partition modification

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:43 am

1. Should i move all the files in the current HDD to the new drive? What is the best way to do this, move in linux or via the network share?
If you intend to use Greyhole, I would leave the files alone. Once Greyhole is implemented, the files will become symbolic links which take up little space. Incidentally, you can implement Greyhole with just one additional drive.
2. Once the old HDD is free from personal files, should i be resizing the partitions or leave the root at max value (total HDD space is about 250 gb)
Leave it alone. This is the Landing Zone for Greyhole and will be necessary to have the space.
3. Reason for question 2 is due to the possibility of adding a 3rd drive and enabling greyhole. Would I need such a large root partition if the other HDD's were 4TB each? Or can i create an additional partition to host some personal files on the original HDD that has the OS on it?
See anwers to 1 & 2.
4. Is there a recommended procedure to rename the share folder in Linux? Can i just to an "mv" or do i disable some services before doing that? I assume that the HDA dashboard path will also require modification after the folder name change?
Yes using mv is fine. Yes you will also need to change the share name path in the HDA Dashboard.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2