New user and relative Linux newbie who cannot get file sharing to work without enabling "Guest"

chadharness

New user and relative Linux newbie who cannot get file sharing to work without enabling "Guest"

Postby chadharness » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:10 am

Again, I can connect to, read and write to shares if I enable the guest account but I cannot seem to get user-specific authentication to work.

I have DNS working through my HDA and I can connect to my HDA box via Putty. My Samba service is running and my workgroup name is WORKGROUP.

My Amahi HDA has otherwise been working great since I initially got it running about six weeks ago.

Everything I've read in the forums related to file sharing issues seems to revolve around client OS-specific issues but, since my problem occurs on both Windows 10 and OS X devices, I don't think my issue is a client OS issue. I need to enable some user-specific security to set-up shares specifically for my children and to prevent them from accessing each other's (and the grown-ups') shares.

Altering my Samba config file seems like a good idea but I don't know a whole lot about Samba config files and, since my HDA will blast away the config file if I update it via the web or reboot the machine, I'm not sure altering the Samba config file is my best solution. I'm also not sure that the Samba config file is my issue or what parameters I would need to change in order to test that hypothesis.

I'm happy to experiment and play around with it but I'm hoping someone has faced this before and would be willing to share their hard earned knowledge with me so I can eliminate as many "rabbit holes" as possible. Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: New user and relative Linux newbie who cannot get file sharing to work without enabling "Guest"

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:39 am

Again, I can connect to, read and write to shares if I enable the guest account but I cannot seem to get user-specific authentication to work.
Recommend you check out the storage and file sharing guidance in the wiki. You may need to restart Samba via the dashboard after making the changes.
My Samba service is running and my workgroup name is WORKGROUP.
Best to make the workgroup match your Windows network workgroup.

BTW, do not alter the samba configuration file manually as it will be overwritten by Amahi.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2